PDA

View Full Version : Elliptical Ramp...-HELP!!!

thekinghn
2006-08-22, 02:21 PM
Let's see.. I been "playing" with Revit, I been reading a lot trying to find
info-help about RAMPS on Revit... my case.. ELLIPTICAL RAMP, going from
+7'-0" to +17'-0", two lanes wide (parking garage)
Any Ideas how to deal with this , highly appreciated

Thanks

Elvis

brussell
2006-08-22, 03:09 PM
I would start with the Arc option when drawing a run. (see attached) The rest can be controlled through properties and editing the sketch.

Wes Macaulay
2006-08-22, 03:41 PM
The reality is... gulp... is that Revit doesn't support elliptical paths for ramps. That's very nasty math in terms of how a sloping thing twists along an elliptical path.

There are curve-based approximations that you can find and use instead. See
http://www.du.edu/~jcalvert/math/ellipse.htm

You can't even draw an elliptical wall in Revit unless you do so in an in-place family (Modeling > Create).

shaunamorain
2006-08-22, 03:58 PM
You can't even draw an elliptical wall in Revit unless you do so in an in-place family (Modeling > Create).
Is this going to change anytime soon?

Wes Macaulay
2006-08-22, 04:36 PM
I doubt it -- you can submit a support request for the feature if you really want it. This is only the second time I've seen the need for an elliptical ramp...

Scott D Davis
2006-08-22, 05:16 PM
I doubt it -- you can submit a support request for the feature if you really want it. This is only the second time I've seen the need for an elliptical ramp...
....that will probably be built using arcs approximating the ellipse in the field.

Wes Macaulay
2006-08-22, 07:31 PM
I think in smaller ellipses that would be true. In the larger project where this was done they used multiple x,y offsets in a Acad drawing to determine the wall location line. I guess you could model up the ramp with curves and then do a similar set-out drawing in 2D.

brussell
2006-08-22, 07:48 PM
Very quick and dirty (read poorly modeled) proof of concept.

hand471037
2006-08-22, 08:16 PM
Another thing you might consider, seeing that the ramp is concrete and all one material it sounds like, is you could simply model it in something like Rhino that can handle this sort of complex geometry accurately, and then import that into an in-place floor family. It would then act like a floor, schedule and tag even, but you wouldn't have to kill yourself trying to model it in Revit...

prent
2006-08-23, 01:42 PM
Maybe Revit has built-in safeguards,i.e. LIMITATIONS, that prevent designing structures with inherent flaws. Case in point. How is it possible for us Americas to navigate our Hummers, Escalades, LandCruisers, SUV's, and extended cab Pick-Ups through an elliptical ramp in a parking structure and into a spacious 9 ft. by 20 ft. parking stall. With great difficulty, and so Revit has at least made it difficult to create an elliptical ramp.

I trust that my thoughts will be taken as light hearted....

hand471037
2006-08-23, 10:02 PM
I trust that my thoughts will be taken as light hearted....

If that's the case then why didn't Revit warn me that I'm using too much Dryvit in my project, and that my color scheme was horrid... :D