PDA

View Full Version : Revit dwg to Sketchup, scaling?

zanzibarbob7
2006-08-22, 02:28 PM
When I export my Revit file as a dwg, then import that file into Sketchup, I can't get it to scale right. A 20' x 30' test building shows the 20' side to be 251' in Sketchup. What am I doing wrong?

greg.mcdowell
2006-08-22, 02:32 PM
Sounds like a scaling issue (though I don't know what would make it go from 20 to 251). When exporting and importing be sure to note what units are being used and set them as needed... if you're exporting in inches be sure to import using the same.

Isaacarus
2006-08-22, 02:37 PM
Sketch up by default will export a DWG. to use decimal units. A quick solution is to open the DWG in AutoCAD. Then goto Format - Units and change the units to Architectural. Then Save the DWG. Now import the DWG into Revit.

Hope that helps

Dimitri Harvalias
2006-08-22, 02:45 PM
If all else fails you can simply select the whole thing in SU and scale it up/down as required. This is probably less trouble than doing it in ACAD.
The only reason I can come up with for the odd scale factor is that when you created the walls in Revit you were placing them to the interior face or the center of the wall so the actual outside dimension was a little more than 20'x30'

Isaacarus
2006-08-22, 02:50 PM
You dont have to scale it at all in AutoCad. All you have to do is change the units of measurement.

zanzibarbob7
2006-08-22, 03:00 PM
Dimitri,

Selecting and scaling the entire model was the solution. I was trying to scale one wall, not the entire model. The odd dimensions may be because I used "Outside Core Face" as the dimensioning parameter.

I looked at the other methods suggested and scaling the entire model was quickest and easiest. Now as I work in Piranesi scaling should be right.

When importing to Sketchup I hit the Options button in the Open box and changed the setting to inches and the import went smoothly. The imported dimension's were exactly the same as the Revit model. So this would seem, now, to be the quickest method.

Thanks,