PDA

View Full Version : Text Boxes

wse1
2006-08-22, 09:54 PM
Does anyone have any advice on how I can enclose text in a box that has a leader? It seems easy enough to underline, italic and bold text but not draw box around text. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

mibzim
2006-08-23, 02:46 AM
Not that i know of - good luck =)

dpollard909366
2006-08-23, 02:22 PM
I don't think that you can do it as a standard leader. You can do it with tags and symbols by simply drawing a box around the text.

I would probably make a "leader-boxed" symbol that has all of the adjustability of a leader and has an adjustable box around it.

Otherwise the simplest but least-revit way is you can just draw drafting lines as a box on top of the leader (keep text as transparent)

Firmso
2006-08-23, 10:52 PM
It's sad that this is not even possible thru dimension-text as a workaround.
Box a Text.....One of the simple things we need but nobody cares to provide.
Hellooooo!

archjake
2006-08-23, 11:04 PM
You can make a simple symbol family and use it like a keynote. Problem occurs when you have multiple lines of text, or box size that varies with length of text.

modulor
2006-08-24, 06:17 AM
Here's one.
As ArchJake mentioned, you will have to edit the box size to fit your text.
Erik

mibzim
2006-08-24, 07:49 AM
Oh boy, i've been waiting to have a rant about this one!!

Why can we not adjust the size of the label text in our tags and annotations, when placed in a project??? We can do it in the family, but not when loaded in!!

Seems completely logical to me to be able to carry this functionality through when loaded into a project but the number of headaches this one causes me! I could even cope if we could add a parameter to the length of the text, but alas, we cannot.

Anyway, i feel better now. Maybe Autodesk was listening. Hope so.

Joef
2006-08-24, 01:35 PM
I would wager that boxed text was one of the first lisp routines written for AutoCAD. Isn't this the sort of thing our wonderful API was supposed to accomplish? Speaking of the API has anyone ever used this? Even once? Can anyone point me to a practical, useful tool that was developed using the API? It was announced with great fanfare but has not been seen or heard of since.

Joe

archjake
2006-08-24, 02:32 PM
You can currently have two or more labels in the family and use visibility to control which one is displayed. Perhaps the family has different types and you can just change them on the fly. Very quick and economical. I'm not sure of your exact use, but I could see a project only having 3 or 4 box sizes..? Could be more depending on your style.

I have more of a problem with the fact that spell check doesn't / or cant check the text in a family like this.

(edit: Hey, this works pretty well! File attached)

Oh boy, i've been waiting to have a rant about this one!!

Why can we not adjust the size of the label text in our tags and annotations, when placed in a project??? We can do it in the family, but not when loaded in!!

Seems completely logical to me to be able to carry this functionality through when loaded into a project but the number of headaches this one causes me! I could even cope if we could add a parameter to the length of the text, but alas, we cannot.

Anyway, i feel better now. Maybe Autodesk was listening. Hope so.