PDA

View Full Version : True North

boofredlay
2006-08-23, 01:23 PM
We have a rather large project that was drawn "out of the box". North needs to be to the left instead of straight up.

I did the garage separately then learned how to rotate True North, then had to rotate the project. Not too bad, however when I went to another plan view, I had to change it to True North as well. Same with the Ceiling plans.

Is there a way to change all the plans to True North in one "motion"?
Also, is there a way to change / rotate True North without rotating the project.
The Help section shows only the way I described with the Garage.

Doing this on the garage was not a problem but with 20+ stories... plans, ceiling plans and any other plans generated, it could take a while.

There is another thing I am wondering. When we started the grid and placed the bubbles, it transferred to all plans. Then we moved some bubbles, changed where they were located, spread them out etc... that is only happening on one sheet. Of course the numbers and letters move with the project but the placement of the bubbles do not.

Can you select them and propagate the changes to all sheets?

Thanks.

aaronrumple
2006-08-23, 01:35 PM
Yes. Revit has project north/true north. A quick seach for either will turn up much discussion about this feature.

boofredlay
2006-08-23, 02:06 PM
So it seems that just rotating something to reflect North where you want it is not a good idea.
I agree with your comment on another thread Aaron, just give me an arrow I can point to North and be done with it.

Having two North settings can and will get confusing, especially in our office.

SCShell
2006-08-23, 02:17 PM
So it seems that just rotating something to reflect North where you want it is not a good idea.
I agree with your comment on another thread Aaron, just give me an arrow I can point to North and be done with it.

Hey there,

I always have north set to true north when I start a project. "Project" north comes in really handy however, especially for sheet layout and site plans.
The only real problem with cheating "true north" is that your automatic parametric features in Revit need to be constantly corrected. (All of your elevation references, shadow and shading references and other things like that, will all be based on whatever you have true north set to.)
Just a little food for thought.
Good luck
Steve

patricks
2006-08-23, 02:22 PM

Separate Project and True North settings are a good thing, to me. Typically you want your plans drawn orthogonally to the sheet (Project North if the building is not oriented exactly to the cardinal directions). But typically a site plan drawing is drawn with True North as up, and the building shown oriented as in real life.

By default all views are set to Project North. So when we find out how exactly the building is oriented, I go to a site plan view, change it to True North, and rotate it as needed using Rotate True North.

I'm curious as to why you're wanting to change all your plan views to True North?

boofredlay
2006-08-23, 02:27 PM
Well, reading more threads I have undone what I started. I want my building situated on my views and sheets where North is facing to the left.

After reverting back I changed my true north to the left, however my elevation markers are incorrect. Left is still West.

archjake
2006-08-23, 02:34 PM
Well, reading more threads I have undone what I started. I want my building situated on my views and sheets where North is facing to the left.

After reverting back I changed my true north to the left, however my elevation markers are incorrect. Left is still West.
If you are referring to the name of an elevation, it isn't tied to the true north setting - Its just a name. Just re-name it.

boofredlay
2006-08-23, 02:39 PM
Thanks Jake.

I can do that, it just seems as parametric as this program is, that once True North is established (at least in a 90 deg orientation ) that the elevations would automatically update.

So do I have it right... keep my Project North oriented as I want to see it on my sheets, and just change the True North (once in any plan) and I am good to go? Then rename my elevations as needed?

Thanks again everyone, I really appreciate the help.

Eric

patricks
2006-08-23, 02:40 PM
I assume you want Project North to be to the left on the sheet because the building fits better that way? If so you can either rotate your crop regions, or you can actually draw the building oriented to the left, and just re-name your elevations.

boofredlay
2006-08-23, 02:42 PM
Hey, please re-read my original post, I added a second question... don't want to start too many threads.

Thanks.

Dimitri Harvalias
2006-08-23, 02:46 PM
There is another thing I am wondering. When we started the grid and placed the bubbles, it transferred to all plans. Then we moved some bubbles, changed where they were located, spread them out etc... that is only happening on one sheet. Of course the numbers and letters move with the project but the placement of the bubbles do not.

Can you select them and propagate the changes to all sheets?

This happens when you click the small 2D/3D sybol on grids and levels.
Go to a view that has the grids set up the way you want them and then select all the grids. On the options bar click the Propagate Extents button. All views parallel to the current view will be displayed and you can choose which ones you want set this way. Give it a try with just a couple of views open and tiled to see how it works.
This also works for levels

boofredlay
2006-08-23, 02:59 PM
Thanks Grandpa!!!!!!!! That did the trick.

So do I have it right... keep my Project North oriented as I want to see it on my sheets, and just change the True North (once in any plan) and I am good to go? Then rename my elevations as needed?