PDA

View Full Version : Pyramid skylight on the fly!

SCShell
2004-06-11, 01:18 AM
Hi there,

Well, as usual, I was running late on a design for an entry canopy structure remodel for one of my ongoing projects. I was using a bunch of floating "beam-walls" on a grid and wanted to fill some of the openings with pyramid shaped skylights. Lazy as I am clever....here is my latest tip (or trick!):

Use the basic, 12" generic default roof. Lay it out by footprint with the roof slope toggled on for all 4 sides, set your slope etc; however, once it is the way you want it, edit it as follows:

Select properties, click "edit" and duplicate it renaming it to "skylight-pyramid" and edit the structure core to 1" thick glass rather than the default 12" and then change the accurender material from "blank" to a glass that you like. Voila!
This took me all of 1 minute...maybe! How cool is Revit?!

Hope this helps
Steve

sbrown
2004-06-11, 10:35 PM
change it to sloped glazing and you can add mullions, just pick on your pyramid and click properties and in the type pulldown select sloped glazing. then use the curtain grid tool to place the grids.

SCShell
2004-06-12, 03:34 PM
Scott,
Agreed. For a larger one that would be the way to go; however, I was going for a 5' square pre-fab acrylic kinda thing. But thanks for that tip. Many here benifit from these kind of ideas and uses for Revit.
The only reason I posted this was because of an earlier post about a sloped glazing issue regarding joins and someone responded that they could do a roof or wall and change it to a sloped glazing afterward.
I love that Revit lets you think "outside of the box".
This all became very obvious when I read and then explored the whole issue about standing seam metal roofs. I can not remember the individual; however, he posted the thread about changing a sloped glazing system from glass to roof metal and then modifying the mullions to appear as the seams. How cool was that!

Thanks to everyone who contributes here!!!!
Steve Shell

Joef
2004-06-12, 06:17 PM
I've just been playing around with this and the sloped glazing to metal roof works great. I also tried building the sloped glazing over top of a generic roof and then lifting the "metal" roof to the surface. Revit doesn't seem to mind building roofs inside or on top of one another. This could prove quite handy.

Joe