PDA

View Full Version : Callout cut plane?

anders.hedman
2006-08-24, 03:16 PM
I draw a callout of a plan drawing in order to make a horizontal cut detail of a window connection to wall. The callout shows the situation above the roof! (the building is 1 storey high). the far clip settings are "same as parent view "etc but still the cut plane is different from the parent view?! About 2000 mm higher! Why?

I made a section through the callout. The cut plane is not visible somewhere far up in the sky, two vertical green lines (the sides of the callout view) ending in nowhere!!?

PeterJ
2006-08-29, 01:08 PM
Have you tried adjusting the parent view cut plane and looked at what happens in the callout?

ckcmike
2006-09-01, 04:35 AM
I have the same issue. when I created a callout on plan and assigned it under detail view, the detail callout view on plan just looking all the way up to nowhere. I have no idea why it wrong, but it is a very basis concept for documentation, autodesk should not get this thing wrong, hope to see improvement in the coming release of Revit.

luigi
2006-09-01, 05:10 AM
I have the same issue. when I created a callout on plan and assigned it under detail view, the detail callout view on plan just looking all the way up to nowhere. I have no idea why it wrong, but it is a very basis concept for documentation, autodesk should not get this thing wrong, hope to see improvement in the coming release of Revit.
I have been using Revit professionally since 4.5 and I have never, and I mean never had problems with creating callouts and having it show properly...do you think, there is a tiny small possiblity that you have something set up wrong in your project?

Now...

A floor plan callout(FPC) and a Detail view callout(DVC)

When you create a FPC, the view range is controlled by the actual callout, not the main floor plan...and when you create the callout it inherits all the view property settings (except scale and maybe something else) so if the plan is set to a cut plane of 50' and a top range of 50' and a bottom range of 0 (all based on the same level) then the callout will inherit the same info....then you can individually change the view range.....it isn't linked and cannot be linked using a FPC

When you create a DVC, the view range is controlled by either:
1. The parent view
2. individually
If the parent view, it will always match the parent view
If individually it may indeed be at a different height...individually set apart from the parent view....how does the far clip active distance work? The cut level of the DVC will always match the cut level of the parent view as long as the parent view is set to a level and not to "none"...the moment you set the level to "none" it disassociates itself from the level (but you can gain it again later) and you can move the height of the DVC in elevation or section....

How to make things simple? Just make sure the DVC has these settings
1.Far Clip Settings = Same as parent View
2.Parent View = (which ever level the callout was created in)

I have yet to have any issues as presented in these posts....

If any of you really want a solution, then upload the file (if you have to save it to a different file, delete everything except for the views in question and purge your file and upload...someone will definately let you know specifically what is going on)

Peace,

luigi
2006-09-01, 05:13 AM
I draw a callout of a plan drawing in order to make a horizontal cut detail of a window connection to wall. The callout shows the situation above the roof! (the building is 1 storey high). the far clip settings are "same as parent view "etc but still the cut plane is different from the parent view?! About 2000 mm higher! Why?

I made a section through the callout. The cut plane is not visible somewhere far up in the sky, two vertical green lines (the sides of the callout view) ending in nowhere!!?
BTW, you can make an actual section (making sure it is a detail section) and cut it exactly where you need it in either elevation or section....but it won't be ever associated to any level...completely independent (and it can be on an angle as well...not just orthogonal)

ckcmike
2006-09-01, 08:41 AM
Partially I understand what you are saying, but how can a plan view not associated with a level? Because when creating a plan view in Revit, it will ask what level wanted to create a plan view, and the associated level of the view will be automatic assigned, and the cut plane of the plan view is also automatic assigned which is same as the associated level. Also we won't able to change the associated level and the cut plane in the View property of a plan view, but able to the cut plane offset only.
As you say, the DVC doesn't display properly because of the associated level of the parent view is not correct. Then how can I change the associated level of a plan view? Thanks

luigi
2006-09-01, 08:52 AM
Partially I understand what you are saying, but how can a plan view not associated with a level? Because when creating a plan view in Revit, it will ask what level wanted to create a plan view, and the associated level of the view will be automatic assigned, and the cut plane of the plan view is also automatic assigned which is same as the associated level. Also we won't able to change the associated level and the cut plane in the View property of a plan view, but able to the cut plane offset only.
As you say, the DVC doesn't display properly because of the associated level of the parent view is not correct. Then how can I change the associated level of a plan view? Thanks
I am kinda not following completely...

In DVC you cannot change the associated level, but you can eliminate the associated level (meaning it can only go from the original level or to "none")

The detail callout is more than just a callout, it is a cut, so it shows as a section also....so the DVC is both a callout and a section, and if you can have a section detail independent to a level, you can have a DVC independent from a level, but it is never automatically making a DVC independent....only when the user makes the DVC independant...

So in short to answer your question: "how can a plan view not associated with a level?" if you misunderstood me, I didn't write a plan view not associated with a level, but a DVC not associated to a level (which only a user intervention can detach the DVC association to a level) A DVC is not a plan view, it is more like a section....whereas a FPC is a plan view

Based on what I wrote, do you have another question? If there is still confusion I would like to clear it up, because I don't see any problems with the FPC or the DVC or Section Details, etc...

Thank you,

ckcmike
2006-09-01, 09:21 AM
First of all, I would like to thank for your quick reply.
The issue I am referring is the DVC on a plan view, which is not only one DVC but all DVC on the plan view. I tried to create other DVC on other Plan view, they all happen the same issue.

Basically, I create a callout on a plan view which intend to show a detail of a wall junction to a curtain wall. I checked the view property of the plan view, which is associated with Level 1 and the cut plane associated to Level 1 with a offset of 1200mm. So as you say the DVC on the plan view of level 1 should be associated with the cut plane of level 1 with a offset of 1200mm and should be viewing downward. However, the DVC doesn't behave as expected, the DVC on the plan view showing everything above the Level 1 within the crop region of the DVC. Do you have any idea why this happen?

luigi
2006-09-01, 09:38 AM
I'm sorry, but I kept trying a few scenarios and I can't repeat your issue...can you upload a small portion of your drawing? Also, have you tried in a brand new file to see if this happens?

If you select the callout, look for under "Properties"-"Graphic"-"Show In" and set it from "Parent View Only" to "Intersecting views"...then cut a section across your callout, and check the the section....does the section actually cut up and not down?

Let me know...

First of all, I would like to thank for your quick reply.
The issue I am referring is the DVC on a plan view, which is not only one DVC but all DVC on the plan view. I tried to create other DVC on other Plan view, they all happen the same issue.

Basically, I create a callout on a plan view which intend to show a detail of a wall junction to a curtain wall. I checked the view property of the plan view, which is associated with Level 1 and the cut plane associated to Level 1 with a offset of 1200mm. So as you say the DVC on the plan view of level 1 should be associated with the cut plane of level 1 with a offset of 1200mm and should be viewing downward. However, the DVC doesn't behave as expected, the DVC on the plan view showing everything above the Level 1 within the crop region of the DVC. Do you have any idea why this happen?

ckcmike
2006-09-01, 10:04 AM
Sorry, I cannot upload the file for you right now, because I leave it in my office. But I tried your method before I lift the office. "Properties"-"Graphic"-"Show In" and set it from "Parent View Only" to "Intersecting views"...then cut a section across your callout, and check the the section, the section actually cut downward (which the section tag arrow pointing down).

anders.hedman
2006-09-03, 10:09 PM
Thank you for discussing the problem, (I have earlier had some problems which nobody else had came across, so its refreshing not to bee alone another time)

I just did another try on the first floor plan view an the callout showed the roof !! I guess that the file is corrupt in some way, it doesn't´t matter if the view dept is set as independent or not. Fortunately we made the room card sheets with separate room plan callouts (over 100 different rooms) over half a year a go and then the file worked fine. I can always copy these callouts to make new ones of course.

I tried auditing the file also with no result. If there were an option to copy the whole, say the whole project including details, sheets schedules etc. to a new blank document I would try it.
Years ago when Acad 97 caused problems that was the solution.

Anyway I worked around the problem by creating detail sections in a section view, (instead of callouts in a plan view), the only problem with that is that the section annotation disappears (because its no longer parallel to the parent section), if I rotate the content in the detail section in the viewport a bit to make it look better on the sheet

m.thomas
2007-04-10, 03:22 PM
hmm, I am having the same problem.

The detail view callout is not showing detail at same level as parent view. It is showing the top of roof!
Clip settings are set for same as parent view, therefore it should be ok.

Have also tried to change from "parent view" to "Independant" and tried tweaking the settings, all to no avail.

Have tried this on a new file, and another pc all of which have the same problem.

Am using Autodesk Revit Building 9 - 20060426_2300. Is this a known issue, and do I just carry on using floor plan callouts.

anders.hedman
2007-04-12, 09:38 PM
I think this problem was quietly fixed in later versions of Revit, at least am I again able to make callouts the normal way.

s.messing
2007-06-07, 04:15 PM
Luigi:
Your description about the differences between plan callouts and detail callouts is great and I appreciate it. I read it once through and do not feel 100% confident that I can teach other people these differences yet. Hopefully, I can read it through a couple of times and be able to explain it to the users here...

I think this problem was quietly fixed in later versions of Revit, at least am I again able to make callouts the normal way.
2 issues:

1. Are we sure that this problem is fixed in Revit Architecture 2008?

2. Can anyone recommend a good teaching tool/ document/ video/ thread that describes the differences between (and maybe even the reasoning behind) plan callouts and detail callouts.

I have projects that have made tons of detail callouts and tons of plan callouts. I have projects that have only made detail callouts and others that have made only plan callouts. I need to be able to explain to teams quickly and efficiently why to use one versus the other. Or I need to be able to point people to a document that explains it very clearly. People get pretty heated when they make one choice (1000 times) that they think is well informed only to find out that there is one little silly thing that plans can do that details can't (or vice versa).

Thank you,
Stephen

post script: Just in case you are wondering, the help section in Revit Architecture 2008 does not explain clearly how/ when to use a detail callout versus a plan callout...

jcoe
2007-06-07, 06:48 PM
I too would like to have a little more clarity regarding the difference, especially the graphical difference. I have created detail views in the past of plan conditions such as column wrap conditions or column to curtainwall conditions and for some reason my columns are not visible in my detail callout.

I have never had any issue with the view range of callouts though.

Luigi - great post.

david.sheffield
2007-06-15, 01:08 PM
2 issues:

1. Are we sure that this problem is fixed in Revit Architecture 2008?

I would say NO. It could be me, but I have a detail callout that doesn't match it's parent view. Had to switch to "Floor Plan Callout" to get it to display correctly. Roof extends below the level. Shows fine in parent view, gets cut off at level in "Detail View".