PDA

View Full Version : Wall Reveal

ford347
2006-08-24, 05:29 PM
Aren't reveals suppose to cut the wall and leave the reveal shape showing, not the wall? Here are some pictures to explain what I'm talking about. Anyone able to elaborate? thanks

Josh

rkitect
2006-08-24, 07:01 PM
I'm not sure I am 100% on what you are asking. Reveals are supposed to cut the reveal profile out of whichever element is hosting it, however, you have to set the reveal profile up correctly so that it is in the correct coordinate field (+,+ or +,- etc) in order for it to cut correctly.

Post back a little more about what you're trying to accomplish. I can't really tell from the drawing :(Sorry)

Also, are you using Revit on a Power Mac or do you just have an OS X skin on your PC?

rkitect
2006-08-24, 07:21 PM
I looked a little bit longer at your atachment. It looks like you have the profile centered about the origin of the profile .rfa. This means (if I'm thinking correctly) that only the part to the right of the origin is going to be cut out of the hosted element (wall). You need to move the profile so that the entire shape is on the upper right quadrant (+,+) of the profile .rfs file.

Also, looking at this profile, you will have a solid left in the middle of your reveal if you leave it the way it is. This is easier shown than explained so you'll probably see what I mean when you get the profile shape set up correctly. You will need to reload your profile shape into the project after editing it.

Let me know if this helps and what else I can answer for you.

ford347
2006-08-25, 12:07 AM
Hey,

thanks for your help. I haven't really ever had a need to use to many custom profiles, so I'm sure I'll need some coaching. I'll post the file here so you can get a feel for what I am trying to accomplish. All this is, is a Reglet stucco reveal, 3/4", 1-1/2" & 3". I'll keep messing with it, in the mean time, take a look. Thanks!\

Josh

rkitect
2006-08-25, 03:09 AM
No Revit on my wife's laptop, so I'll look at it when I get to work tomorrow morning. My guess is that you just need to think of your profile as what would be sliced off of your wall (If it is a reveal that is) if you were actually cutting the wall like clay. I'll look at your profile tomorrow, till then think about that. Hope that helps some.

Graham Briggs
2006-08-25, 05:50 AM
Hey,

thanks for your help. I haven't really ever had a need to use to many custom profiles, so I'm sure I'll need some coaching. I'll post the file here so you can get a feel for what I am trying to accomplish. All this is, is a Reglet stucco reveal, 3/4", 1-1/2" & 3". I'll keep messing with it, in the mean time, take a look. Thanks!\

Josh Hi Josh,

When creating a reveal profile, what Revit want to know is the shape to be removed from the wall. What your profile describes is the reglet extrusion shape. This is necessary for detailing, or if you wanted to actually model the aluminum extrusion and apply it to the walls as a sweep or Generic Model family. But for the reveal family, think of it as a Void or Cut from the wall. The attached file is just that, using the same width and depth parameters from your original file.

Hope this helps...

Graham

ford347
2006-08-31, 05:22 PM
Thanks a lot. If I wanted to have this shape cut the wall, like a stucco reveal would, and have the reveal remain exposed metal, would I use a sweep rather than a reveal and offset it into the wall to get the metal material to show up in elevation, 3d etc.? What's the best solution for this? Thanks again for your help!

bpayne
2006-08-31, 09:17 PM
Graham implied (and I would agree) you really don't want to model the actual reveal extrusion. Computer memory is a valuable resource and you need to be carefull where you spend it. If it is crucial to you project, then so be it. If not, just take the paint bucket and "paint" the material on the inside of the cut for graphical purposes. Then show the extrusion in a detail.

ford347
2006-09-01, 12:04 AM
Thanks guys. I realized after I posted last that the reveal split the wall at it's cut line and I was able to paint the section of the wall that was removed by the reveal, so it worked out just fine. I would prefer not to model something like that as you suggested....thanks again!

Josh