PDA

View Full Version : Design Options - Building Wing Alternate?

angelo
2006-08-25, 10:44 PM
We have a nagging add alternate option on our project that just won’t go away…

It’s a wing or “finger” that we need to develop in parallel with the rest of the model. We are nearing the end of design development.

Can we model all the detail and annotation for this “ghost wing” of the building via design options? There is some physical overlap of some floors and walls, so this is where I’m a little fuzzy on how it would all work. Also, without the finger, an exterior wall will exist and need to be detailed and used for elevations.

Should all the objects be built in their intended locations, or should we literally pull the model apart and go the old route of a match line?

Thanks for any insight.

Angelo

aggockel50321
2006-08-26, 11:34 AM
Design options work great for this.

Set up a design option and rename it i.e. Wing.

Then set up two options withn the main option, ie, "Wing Alternate", and "No Wing" .

Then move any walls, roofs, floors, and other objects in the main model affected by the wing additon into botth the Wing Alternate and No Wing option.

Then model the wing with the Wing Alternate design option open.

You can then also duplicate any relevant views, and lock them to each option via View/visiblity when setting up your sheets.

ford347
2006-08-26, 07:08 PM
Remember to always remain flexible during your design options. Make things availiable to both options if you will be messing around with them in both. I end up copying a lot of things over and pasting things from one option to another, that way I keep some consistancy and have a lot of flexibility with how I manipulate a lot of different objects. I do this because some times you will make things availiable to both, say some walls or a floor, then you would like to add some windows, doors etc., and you can end up getting some errors. So rather than making it availiable, I'll just duplicate it for both options. I think I got that tip from a user here in Augi and ended up saving myself some time.

angelo
2006-08-27, 09:23 PM
Andrew and Josh,

Thanks for the reply--we'll give it a whirl. Josh, for duplicating some items, would these be where we might have some overlap of the main building and the wing?

Thanks,
Angelo

SCShell
2006-08-28, 03:05 PM
Hey there,
Two other things to thing about maybe when using Design Options:

1. Create separate views for each option (ie: Plan - Wing & Plan - With out Wing. Do the same for elevations, sections, site and roof plans.) This really helps to keep things straight in your head and helps to set up view templates needed to display each option correctly.

2. Don't just think of this as a "Design" tool. Design Options can be really handy in showing Alternate Bid items on the CD's. I do this a lot and it works out really well.

Good Luck
Steve