PDA

View Full Version : Save to new file /import?

twiceroadsfool
2006-08-28, 03:27 PM
I right clicked on a sheet in the proj. browser, that is all drafting views and legends. I did a *save to new file* and picked a location, and the sheet now exists as its own RVT file.

Now, im trying to bring that entire sheet back in to a project, to make another sheet, and its not working. When i go *insert from file* i get the views as options, but not the sheets. What gives?

Am i doin it wrong??

twiceroadsfool
2006-08-28, 03:39 PM
Okay, heres the thing:

if i *save to new file* a sheet that has NOTHING on it, then when i go to *insert from file* the SHEET shows up, under "show views and sheets."

If i do this with a sheet that HAS views on it, then when i go to insert and select "show views and sheets" only the drafting views/legends show up, no sheets...

Does anyone know why?

shaunamorain
2006-08-28, 05:03 PM
FILE>INSERT FROM FILE>VIEWS>(NAVIGATE TO FILE & SELECT)>OK

THIS IS WHAT WORKED FOR ME WHILE DOING THE EXACT SAME THING

twiceroadsfool
2006-08-28, 05:21 PM
If i do that, i can grab the VIEWS, but i cant grab the entire SHEET.

The only way i can grab the SHEET, is if i save to new file, with no views on the sheet.

You just did it and it imported the sheet, with the views on it?

shaunamorain
2006-08-28, 05:24 PM
Yes, I was able to see the detail views that were on the sheet- so I'm not sure what went wrong with yours

twiceroadsfool
2006-08-28, 05:26 PM
Hmm.... Great, i dont know what to try now, LOL.....

twiceroadsfool
2006-08-28, 05:34 PM
Okay, weird... It works with a sheet that has just drafting views... But it doesnt like the sheet that has a legend in it...

cphubb
2006-08-28, 05:51 PM
Legends are not importable/exportable like drafting/detali views are.

twiceroadsfool
2006-08-28, 06:06 PM
Legends are not importable/exportable like drafting/detali views are.

Thanks a bunch. Thats the ticket i was looking for. I was trying to use legends because then i wouldnt have replications of the same view, but maybe ill make them DV's, so they can be brought in as entire sheets.......

I appreciate the help!

cphubb
2006-08-29, 04:40 PM
One thing to note though,

Legends can be placed on multiple sheets, drafting views cannot. If you have a "Legend" created in a drafting view, you will need to duplicate it if you want it on another sheet.

twiceroadsfool
2006-08-29, 07:45 PM
Understood. Originally i thought it would be better to use Legends, because there would really only be one *instance* of it. But id have to drag it on to every set of tenant docs that there are in the model. Using the *save to new file* keeps importing copies of the DV's (which makes me fearful of how big this model will get), but it saves tons of time in getting these packages set up.

I guess thatll be the test. If the file gets unmanagably huge, we'll know we cant go this route, lol...