PDA

View Full Version : Removing imported CAD files in drafting views

patricks
2006-08-28, 06:16 PM
I have a couple of view-specific CAD imports that are not links, but supposedly they are in a drafting view, but I don't see them. I got a couple of error messages as it was importing. Now I want to remove them, but I don't see how to get rid of them? They are showing up in Visibility/Graphics for that view, but they don't show up under Manage Links, because I actually imported it instead of linking it. Anyone know?

rkitect
2006-08-28, 06:17 PM
I may just not be understanding what you're trying to accomplish... but did selecting and then hitting the 'delete' key not work?

patricks
2006-08-28, 06:25 PM
I can't see the imported file in the view. I got some errors about activeX and other proprietary components not showing up as it was importing, and it looks like nothing came in. But the imported file shows up under visibility/graphics, with no apparent way to get rid of it.

All I was trying to do was import a CAD file with an Excel spreadsheet in it, but for some reason it won't come in.

rkitect
2006-08-28, 07:07 PM
Sounds like a job for Support. Sorry. My only other suggestions are to check to make sure it's not because you're zoomed in/out to far and then to send it to Support if that doesn't work :(

Good luck with this one and keep us posted if you ever get it fixed.

shaunamorain
2006-08-28, 07:40 PM
I have a couple of view-specific CAD imports that are not links, but supposedly they are in a drafting view, but I don't see them. I got a couple of error messages as it was importing. Now I want to remove them, but I don't see how to get rid of them? They are showing up in Visibility/Graphics for that view, but they don't show up under Manage Links, because I actually imported it instead of linking it. Anyone know?

I was just reading up on this topic myself! Somewhere in my search, someone said to check the color when this happens, it might be set to white.

I can't see the imported file in the view. I got some errors about activeX and other proprietary components not showing up as it was importing, and it looks like nothing came in. But the imported file shows up under visibility/graphics, with no apparent way to get rid of it.

All I was trying to do was import a CAD file with an Excel spreadsheet in it, but for some reason it won't come in.
not too sure about that activeX mumbo jumbo

Steve_Stafford
2006-08-28, 07:49 PM
Edit the cad file you imported so there is some linework present and re-import the file into Revit. Now it will be visible since the linework will show up where the spreadsheet isn't. Select the dwg, then use Right Click > Select All Instances to delete all of them...

When an AutoCAD file has AEC or ADT objects present, because it was made with ADT/LDT/Civil3D or has OLE objects, you have to save the file with the system variable "proxygraphics" set to 1 so symbol data is stored in the file. Set to 0 and those objects won't be visible.

patricks
2006-08-28, 08:09 PM
I just tried setting "proxygraphics" to 1 and then re-importing the file and it still didn't work. So then I added some lines in the file, re-imported again, right clicked and select all instances, but the first 3 instances are still showing up in V/G.

dbaldacchino
2006-08-29, 02:53 AM
With Proxygraphics set to 1, we still get the ActiveX messages when linking files. I personally don't like to import, just because it's easier to get rid of a file when linking, and has the added benefit of being able to edit the file in CAD.

mibzim
2006-08-29, 07:43 AM
It is a major problem that you cannot 'see' imported DWG's if they go walkabouts like you say they have. There was a post on this a while ago and the only solution is to re-import it into a view where you know it will show up, select all instances, and hit delete.

We find that that message about Proxy Graphics often comes up, but the DWG will still come in. It may be that your DWG is importing to a strange location (origin far out) or that it is out of the crop boundary when you place it.

You can 'see' exactly which files are LINKED PROJECT WIDE, but not which ones are imported and into which view they are imported/ linked. Crazy if you ask me.

It would make a hell of a lot more sense if under imported categories tab in the visibility menu ONLY the cad drawings linked or imported into that specific view showed. Why does it need to show all 30 linked DWG's for a specific view if only two of them are actually in that view!?

patricks
2006-08-29, 02:20 PM
yep I was wondering that as well.

At present I have tried importing the file 4 times. The 4th time had the line work in it, so I was able to select that and delete it. However, even when I clicked on "select all instances" it did not catch the first 3 instances of the import, so they are still there, each one with a number suffix that Revit has added on. I guess they're just stuck there for now. :( I can't file a support request at the moment until I get our contract number from the boss man.

DoTheBIM
2006-08-29, 07:55 PM
I too have had issues with this... Linked or imported. My first round turned out to be a bad DWG created by my third party software. Open'd in AutoCAD and it confirmed that nothing was there (even though the file had some size to it). Tried a different DWG from another job and all was well again. I recently had a disappearing DXF, that somehow I got to work again, so I never reported any of mine to support. Anyway, food for thought.

CADMama
2006-08-30, 02:41 AM
I have a bunch of Imported Categories also that I can not get rid of. If I did import a dwg it is long gone. I am working on getting a RTE - template file - done where someone is going from ADT to Revit and I am trying to get some templates set up. I just can't get rid of those pesky Imported Categories. Any idea?

Edit - mine are all from titleblocks that I have loaded into the project and I can't get rid of these imported categories in the titleblock RFA files either.

Mr Spot
2006-08-30, 03:46 AM
I have a bunch of Imported Categories also that I can not get rid of. If I did import a dwg it is long gone. I am working on getting a RTE - template file - done where someone is going from ADT to Revit and I am trying to get some templates set up. I just can't get rid of those pesky Imported Categories. Any idea?

Edit - mine are all from titleblocks that I have loaded into the project and I can't get rid of these imported categories in the titleblock RFA files either.
Go to settings-->Object Styles and delete the unwanted styles there - for the titleblock that is. You can also do it in the project, but if the family is reloaded those object styles will just get recreated. So better treat the illness rather than the wound.