PDA

View Full Version : UCS Icon equivalent

raddis
2006-08-28, 06:52 PM
Is there anything in Revit I can turn on to show me my orientation, especially in 3D?
AutoCAD has the UCS icon, which makes it easy for me to figure out my current view direction.

When opening files that start in 3D, it's difficult to tell the view direction. Am I missing something (don't get cute!)?

Dimitri Harvalias
2006-08-28, 07:13 PM
Easiest way I can think of is to draw a simple north arrow using model lines. They are visible in all views.

rkitect
2006-08-28, 07:14 PM
I don't see any options that contain anything about [UCS like] orientation.Of course, there are the options under 'View > Orient' that allow you to orient the model to a certain cardinal direction or orthagonal view.

HTH,

luigi
2006-08-28, 07:16 PM
Hmm...I lost what I began writing...oh well...

Cute? I will try not to get cute, although difficult.. LOL

There is no UCS Icon...actually there is no UCS perse.....When you are in 3d, there isn't a need for an icon, because there is no UCS like in Autocad...and there is no WCS either....at least not directly...

Each object has its coordinate system, so if you move something, it moves per it's own coordinate system...unless it is a free object (not controlled by a plane)

If you want, you can turn on the work plane on (a type of UCS)
From the pulldown menu go to "Tools/Work Plan/Work Plane visibility" or the tool bar (second toolbar line and second from the left)

I erased the UCS and UCS Icon and WCS and changing UCS from my memory bank...and have been quite happy....that's as cute as I will get...

Hope some of this helped...

Take care,

Is there anything in Revit I can turn on to show me my orientation, especially in 3D?
AutoCAD has the UCS icon, which makes it easy for me to figure out my current view direction.

When opening files that start in 3D, it's difficult to tell the view direction. Am I missing something (don't get cute!)?

raddis
2006-08-28, 09:16 PM
Well, the point was "how do I know I'm looking at the NorthEast or SouthWest view", but I guess we are just on our own.

Scott D Davis
2006-08-28, 09:27 PM
Best way to know, it to create a view and name it. Starting with a 3D view, View>Orient>Southwest will get you a Southwest oriented "axon" (relative to north being 90 degrees vertical in the main plan view) that you can name Southwest. Do the same for the other 3 "axon" directions. Now you can easily switch between them, and they are named so its easy to tell.

raddis
2006-08-29, 06:13 PM
.....when opening someone else's file, or a family for editing that is left in 3D.
I guess I'm asking for too much here.
Thanks.

luigi
2006-08-29, 06:24 PM
There is no ucs icon. In autocad if you open someones drawing and view it in 3d, you may, or may not, be seeing the WCS...it may be the UCS, and in that sense, you still don't have certainty where north is. You have to be certain that north is up or right, then make sure you are in the WCS and not the UCS, and then have in mind, while looking at the UCS icon where north is (up or right, or whereever)

on a side not, is the north, East, West, South views of the building so identical that you can't figure out which view you are looking at?

If you really want to have something, like an icon in autocad...then do what was suggested earlier...create a north arrow with model lines as a family....give it a special subcomponent so that you can easily turn on or turn off and make sure that everybody in your office adds it to each project, and have them properly rotate it so that the arrow points north....it can be a big circle diameter (like 100' or 200') and placed on the 1st level (bottom of building, or on second thought...maybe the top) so when in 3d view you will see it....
you may need a couple of projects to strategically size the north arrow....but that may help you.

aaronrumple
2006-08-29, 07:08 PM
Best way to know, it to create a view and name it. Starting with a 3D view, View>Orient>Southwest will get you a Southwest oriented "axon" (relative to north being 90 degrees vertical in the main plan view) that you can name Southwest. Do the same for the other 3 "axon" directions. Now you can easily switch between them, and they are named so its easy to tell.
...to follow up on Scott's note. A Saved 3D view can be spun around while working, but will reset to the save view after the view is closed. So each time it is displaying the correct stuff.

twiceroadsfool
2006-08-29, 07:48 PM
Another method could be to just make a N-S reference plane. If youre in 3d, set your work plane to it, and turn on work plane visibility.

I dont use WPV as a UCS, but its great for finding stuff in 3d, lol...