PDA

View Full Version : sloped steel beam

tim.101799
2006-08-29, 05:25 PM
Is it possible to have a slped steel beam in Revit Building?

So far I have tried creating a sloped ref. plan in an elevation view, then trying to draw a new beam along that plane. Only while in the beam command Revit will not allow me to pick that ref. plan, or select this named ref. plan for the pull down list.

Tom Dorner
2006-08-29, 05:58 PM
You are close...try naming the sloped reference plane then in a plan view set your work plane to the named reference plane. Works for me, but there might be a better way.

tim.101799
2006-08-29, 06:23 PM
You are close...try naming the sloped reference plane then in a plan view set your work plane to the named reference plane. Works for me, but there might be a better way.

That worked for part of my problem.

What I have are roof bent roof beams that pitch from the perimter to the center. So what I have done using your meathod is create two ref planes to represent each half of the bent beam. But when I draw the two beams I cannot join them to look like one single bent beam.

Tom Dorner
2006-08-29, 06:34 PM
This is where it gets more complex. Is your model going to be used by Revit Structure and exported for analysis? If so I tend to stop trying to modify the stock Revit stuctural components as I fear what the consequences in Revit Structure might be.

If you are just showing the beams for architectural purposes only, then can you live with a little linework in a section or two to clean things up? Another option might be to create a new in-place or custom family for the beams in your project.

sbrown
2006-08-29, 08:02 PM
You can select the bot face of your roof as the work plane, then the beams will snap to its slope.

Steve_Stafford
2006-08-29, 08:09 PM
Beams now have an offset at each end which you can change as well. So you can place the beam at one elevation and adjust the offset at one end. If you are really trying to do rafters or somesuch then setting a workplane as the others suggest is a good idea.

robert.manna
2006-08-30, 01:09 AM
I think part of the problem is though, that Tim is looking for litteraly a bent beam and not just a straigh W section (or whatnot). Is the correct? In which case, as you found you can't make two seperate beams join to make one continuous beam. The suggustion of making a new family is really the correct one. If you think about, this follows with constuction logic as well. I suspect (without knowing more about exactly what you are trying to do) that the piece that will be used on the project is a single piece of steel, not two pieces of steel somehow welded together on site. Or it will be shop assembled, and brought on site as one piece. Either way your best bet (so that you don't have to deal with a bunch of detailing lines) is a custom family.

HTH
-R

troberts
2007-11-21, 06:11 PM
Has anyone developed such a custom family?