PDA

View Full Version : Can't create sweep

dnilsson
2004-06-11, 06:20 PM
Can anyone give me an idea where to start looking to fix this error? I have a sweep created using an externally saved profile. I made a slight change to the profile and when I try to reload the profile family I get the error, but it gives me no clue as to why it can't create the sweep.

Steve_Stafford
2004-06-11, 06:30 PM
A pretty common culprit is when a profile is trying to follow a path that will cross back over itself. Most common on arc, spline or segmented paths at a sharp angle.

dnilsson
2004-06-11, 07:35 PM
Or when you have a tiny bust in your profile family. Sometimes it's so simple it hurts.

archjake
2004-06-11, 09:35 PM
In the past I've had a sweep that wouldn't work because the profile had a line ontop of another line. Erased the duplicate and it solved the problem.

gis459642
2015-05-05, 12:30 PM
In the past I've had a sweep that wouldn't work because the profile had a line ontop of another line. Erased the duplicate and it solved the problem.

To create a closed spline, draw first a little straight line and use both start and ending of the spline to snap to it.

Steve_Stafford
2015-05-06, 12:02 AM
Prior to your reply, the last post in this thread was June 2004, nearly 11 years ago :) I'm betting they sorted it out since then.

_andre.fernandes
2015-11-24, 12:08 PM
For the record in this old thread, Steve is right about the round paths, but a way that worked for me was to make the path via Sketch Edge instead of Pick Path. I also used to create a sharp edged form (like a rectangle) and finish the sweep. After this i can edit the path and use fillet arc on corners, and it worked too!
I hope it can be usefull for someone.

Duncan Lithgow
2015-11-25, 12:21 PM
We've basically stopped using sweeps because of lots of little problems. We've started making Line Based extrusions instead. Then they have a rotate-able cut at each end so the join can be at any angle. This is adopted after seeing Brian Mackey's solution for Detail Items. Steve, do you recommend hanging in there with Sweeps even though they can't always solve the problem?

_andre.fernandes
2015-11-26, 12:25 PM
Let´s ressurect the thread! Duncan, I became curious on what you mean about "Line Based extrusions". What´s the way to do it? When I create an extrusion using Pick Lines I get tied in the Work Plane, so some edges still remains 90° sharped. That´s what I don´t want when modeling with Sweep.

Duncan Lithgow
2015-11-27, 12:44 PM
Hi Andre

Take a look at the attached family (Revit 2016). Play with the two angular parameters and you should see what I mean. Here's a picture where you can see the void I use to cut the ends of the extrusion to the desired angle.