PDA

View Full Version : Roof Joining

jcoe
2006-08-30, 03:44 PM
I am trying to join a hip roof with a gable but when I do I keep getting this message:

"Part of the roof to be joined misses the target face."

The gable has a slope of 10:12 and the hip also has a slope of 10:12. Both roofs have a base level of Top of Wall. I have redrawn the roofs several times, but still get the same message. I'm not sure what I did wrong or if I missed a step along the way.

We typically do flat roofs with rubber membranes, so this is a little new to me.

johnf.77896
2006-08-30, 04:38 PM
Have you tried drawing the roof by footprint and just not give the gable end a slope tag?

John Fleming

patricks
2006-08-30, 05:33 PM
I'm betting part of your problem is coming from the fact that the two roofs are overlapping each other, and also that the plate/eave heights are not the same. Move the hip roof up or the gable roof down so that the eave heights align, and also pull the hip roof's rear edge (the one nearest the gable roof) back away from the wall, then try to join.

johnf.77896
2006-08-31, 01:59 PM
What you can do is draw the whole roof at once and then before you finish the roof pick the three lines for the gable part of the roof and move them down to the plate height of that part of your building, then finish the roof and it should all work.

dsw98
2006-08-31, 02:49 PM
I am trying to join a hip roof with a gable but when I do I keep getting this message:

"Part of the roof to be joined misses the target face."

The gable has a slope of 10:12 and the hip also has a slope of 10:12. Both roofs have a base level of Top of Wall. I have redrawn the roofs several times, but still get the same message. I'm not sure what I did wrong or if I missed a step along the way.

We typically do flat roofs with rubber membranes, so this is a little new to me.

I've had the problem before also. What you can try is this, in the sketch mode pull the right side roof line to the right so that when you finish the sketch you actually have a ridge. Revit has a hard time finding a ridge to join when it doesn't actually exist in the model. But from looking at your PDF, it looks like the ridge may go higher than the gable roof. But before all that, the tops of your eaves must line up.