PDA

View Full Version : Joining walls

jspartz
2006-08-30, 07:18 PM
If you split a wall, or have two pieces of walls of the same type lined up next to each other, can you join them together for it to become one single wall?

eddy.lermytte
2006-08-30, 07:47 PM
Yes
Use Join Geometry (Toolbar)

sbrown
2006-08-30, 08:01 PM
if you click the little blue dot at the end of the wall(where it is split) it used to remake it as one wall.

jspartz
2006-08-30, 08:16 PM
Thanks! The blue dot is the key.

It works on most walls, but a couple it will act like the join command and clean them up but not make them one again. Maybe it's because the wall profiles of those walls are edited.

Chris.N
2008-03-12, 02:24 PM
~sigh~ still getting the hang of this program... does anyone know if you can TRUELY take two walls and make them one? not by looks only?

aaronrumple
2008-03-12, 02:44 PM
~sigh~ still getting the hang of this program... does anyone know if you can TRUELY take two walls and make them one? not by looks only?

Yes you can. As noted above. Drag one end to the other end of another wall. Revit will rebuild them as one. There are some rules though. They have to have exactly the same properties and of course be in the same plane. Same height, base etc. Also if you have other elements joined, which would be upset by the rebuild, they will not become one. Walls with edited profiles will also not rebuild as as one.

Chris.N
2008-03-12, 03:30 PM
Yes you can. As noted above. Drag one end to the other end of another wall. Revit will rebuild them as one. There are some rules though. They have to have exactly the same properties and of course be in the same plane. Same height, base etc. Also if you have other elements joined, which would be upset by the rebuild, they will not become one. Walls with edited profiles will also not rebuild as as one.doh! i forgot to check the properties....

thanks!

Chris.N
2008-03-12, 03:34 PM
ok, please help as i must be missing something.

i copied a wall, split it, and am trying ever button combo & mouse drag i can think of and can not get the wall to become a single entity again...

:banghead:

Chris.N
2008-03-12, 03:37 PM
wait, is it the OPEN dot when both walls are selected that's the key?

HA!! do i need to worry about an error that popped up that had something to do with the fact that the wall contains sweeps?

Chris.N
2008-03-12, 03:39 PM
ok, so what's the deal with the apparent "zero" length wall left behind when i deleted my test wall? it is also at a goofy and apparently random angle in plan view, and the window that was hosted in that half also tweaked to a strange angle as well.

aaronrumple
2008-03-12, 05:02 PM
wait, is it the OPEN dot when both walls are selected that's the key?

HA!! do i need to worry about an error that popped up that had something to do with the fact that the wall contains sweeps?

The sweeps will need to be rebuilt as one - one side will need to be deleted or they will overlap. Are these hosted sweeps or built into the wall style?

aaronrumple
2008-03-12, 05:03 PM
ok, so what's the deal with the apparent "zero" length wall left behind when i deleted my test wall? it is also at a goofy and apparently random angle in plan view, and the window that was hosted in that half also tweaked to a strange angle as well.

You walls were not aligned with each other, or your drag o the endpoint snapped to a point at the angle.

Chris.N
2008-03-12, 06:06 PM
The sweeps will need to be rebuilt as one - one side will need to be deleted or they will overlap. Are these hosted sweeps or built into the wall style?built into the wall style.

so the 'open O' is the key?

Chris.N
2008-03-12, 06:07 PM
You walls were not aligned with each other, or your drag o the endpoint snapped to a point at the angle.impossible*, it was an ortho wall that i copied, then split, then tried to re-join according to what i saw above. besides, i didn't 'drag' anything, i just clicked on it and it did it's thing.

*: "impossible" being a relative term when using this software...

aaronrumple
2008-03-12, 06:26 PM
Post the file and lets have a look. Something doesn't sound right....

Matt Brennan
2008-03-12, 06:27 PM
And when making this 1 wall attempt, make sure that you have not disallowed wall join on the individual grips. Otherwise you will be cursing Revit all over again.

Chris.N
2008-03-12, 06:58 PM
ok, what i did was copy/paste the wall into a file, and i still can't get the thing to work!

what i posted was the original wall, then copied over to split, then copied the split assembly over to try to re-join..... :banghead:

anyway, the assistance is more than appreciated!!

kpaxton
2008-03-12, 07:45 PM
Chris,

If I were to guess, without looking at your file, you are selecting both your walls at the same time, resulting in the open grip. I've included a few JPGs for your review that help explain this behavior. As I.D. said, make sure you haven't right-clicked and used DISALLOW JOINS on the grip in the pop-up menu. I hope this helps.

Regards,
kyle

PS - OK, I looked at your file - I see that you're using a more complex wall - one that includes multiple materials (using the Split Region tool) and with three integral sweeps. The culprit, sorry to say, is indeed the sweeps. This causes the wall to not 'heal' totally. The join goes away and it appears as a whole wall - BUT are two separate walls. The sweeps need to be rejoined by grabbing the grips, then pulling one over the other, removing the joint line. The walls will remain as two segments. I guess if this is OK, then you'll have to live with it, OR change the walltype to another definition, as Aaron says, then join the two together, then change the type back.

NOTE: In elevation, if your hatch patterns are off, just use the ALIGN command and align one hatch pattern line to another's to 'reset' the pattern spacing.

aaronrumple
2008-03-12, 07:56 PM
The sweeps are preventing the merging of the walls. Revit can merge the sweeps. (Hosted sweeps are a different story.)

So solve the issue: Temporarily switch the wall type to a simple wall with no sweeps. Merge the walls. Then switch the wall back to the previous type.

Then submit this to Autodesk for more work.

Chris.N
2008-03-12, 08:13 PM
Chris,

If I were to guess, without looking at your file, you are selecting both your walls at the same time, resulting in the open grip. I've included a few JPGs for your review that help explain this behavior. As ID said, make sure you haven't right-clicked and used DISALLOW JOINS on the grip in the pop-up menu. I hope this helps.

Regards,
kyle

PS - OK, I looked at your file - I see that you're using a more complex wall - one that includes multiple materials (using the Split Region tool) and with three integral sweeps. The culprit, sorry to say, is indeed the sweeps. This causes the wall to not 'heal' totally. The join goes away and it appears as a whole wall - BUT are two separate walls. The sweeps need to be rejoined by grabbing the grips, then pulling one over the other, removing the joint line. The walls will remain as two segments. I guess if this is OK, then you'll have to live with it, OR remake the wall.
NOTE: In elevation, if your hatch patterns are off, just use the ALIGN command and align one hatch pattern line to another's to 'reset' the pattern spacing.
THAT is what i needed to see, and appreciate you sharing those graphics!

~sigh~ with that being said, i suppose it makes no difference if the sweeps are hosted or integral?

even without the sweeps, but with the split regions, would this "join" technique work?

Chris.N
2008-03-12, 08:14 PM
The sweeps are preventing the merging of the walls. Revit can merge the sweeps. (Hosted sweeps are a different story.)

So solve the issue: Temporarily switch the wall type to a simple wall with no sweeps. Merge the walls. Then switch the wall back to the previous type.

Then submit this to Autodesk for more work.
so, if i had used "hosted" sweeps, i wouldn't have this issue?

thanks for the work-around!

p.s.- what is the recommended way to submit this issue, and how should i describe it correctly?

aaronrumple
2008-03-12, 08:29 PM

p.s.- what is the recommended way to submit this issue, and how should i describe it correctly?

Hosted and Built-In each have thier own issues and workarounds.

For a support Issue:
Help > Create Support Request.

Chris.N
2008-03-12, 08:43 PM
Hosted and Built-In each have thier own issues and workarounds.

For a support Issue:
Help > Create Support Request.
is the "quick n dirty" explanation for this issue regarding the sweep types actually "quick"? i wouldn't mind knowing a bit of what you are referring too..

again, thanks for the help!

kpaxton
2008-03-13, 02:00 AM

Chris,
To be blunt, no. You would have an issue if you use integral-wall OR if you use wall-hosted sweeps. The issue that you're having is that the split wall, of the same wall-type, is not healing as it should, because of the presence of the sweep. Swapping out the wall-types works as it allows the healing to happen- Please note that you have to choose a wall without a sweep in it!!

Also - IF you have a wall, with a wall-hosted sweep (i.e. not in the wall definition), you have to actually delete the sweeps first, then you can heal the wall itself, then remake the sweeps. The shortcut shown before will not work as the presence of the sweep prevents the healing of the wall.

Submit your support request as Aaron mentioned!!

Regards,
kyle

aaronrumple
2008-03-13, 02:37 PM
Chris,
Also - IF you have a wall, with a wall-hosted sweep (i.e. not in the wall definition), you have to actually delete the sweeps first, then you can heal the wall itself, then remake the sweeps. The shortcut shown before will not work as the presence of the sweep prevents the healing of the wall.

Well - don't actually delete it. Cut it to the clipboard. Merge the wals. Then paste the sweep back onto the wall.

Chris.N
2008-03-13, 03:05 PM
hey, thanks a TON you guys!

:Puffy:

i finally got it to work on a masonry wall....

i'm getting pretty good at comparison, it wasn't working AGAIN untill i checked the 'location line' field. i'm so happy i finally got something to work like it's supposed to!

(this must be what "getting" DB's feel like for newbies...) :mrgreen: