PDA

View Full Version : Ramp Issues!

sleimgruber06
2006-08-30, 08:36 PM
I am having an issue with this, and well every other ramp I have in my model.
The issue is that after creating a 3" thick ramp, in the section view it shows the ramp through the floor. My question is, Is there any way I can get it to just go to the floor and stop instead of it going through?

See the attachments for clarification...

Thanks,

Scott D Davis
2006-08-30, 08:50 PM
unfortunately, no. Use the linework tool to make the lines invisible, or draft a Wipeout over the area in the Section views. If you change your ramp from Thick to Soild, it will stop at the floor...but for the entire length of the ramp.

sleimgruber06
2006-08-30, 08:53 PM
Thanks for all the help Scott!

sleimgruber06
2006-08-30, 09:59 PM
Scott, (or anyone looking in)
when you said 'wipeout' did you mean Plan region?

Scott D Davis
2006-08-30, 10:25 PM
Nope. Use a Filled Region, make a new one and call it Wipeout. Set the Fill Pattern in the Filled Region to "No Pattern" (it's the button at the bottom of the dialog box) and then click ok.

You now have a Wipeout filled region that will cover things up, but will not exprt to DWG or to DWF as a black blob, like a Solid White Fill Pattern would.

You will have to play with the lines that make the boundary of your filled region so they are either invisible, or match the linework underneath them in your view.

sleimgruber06
2006-08-30, 10:29 PM
Worked like a charm!
Thanks bud!

Steve_Stafford
2006-08-31, 04:19 AM
For a simple ramp you can just use a floor and assign a pitch to the bottom or top sketch line (or use a slope arrow). Then join geometry between floors. You can still host a railing.

sleimgruber06
2006-08-31, 07:39 PM
Thanks for all the input gentlemen...I apppreciate it!

bpayne
2006-08-31, 09:25 PM
Just a random question, but how often do you really have a ramp "coming out" of the floor below?

In the past I have edited the sketch of the floor below and removed the portion of the floor below the ramp so that the bottom of the floor cleanly transitions to the bottom of the ramp.

I'm just trying to imagine what the situation would look like in the field.

mibzim
2006-08-31, 10:41 PM
Just thought i would tag this on the end of this thread...

We cannot for the life of us, get our ramps to show up in ceiling plan views. Checked view depth, workset visibility, view scale etc etc etc ad infinitum. Has anyone else had this problem? When i pick it in another view and edit it, i can actually edit it in the ceiling plan but when i finish sketch it vanishes!!??

It might just be that our project is so old and dogged now that its just another one of those fun littl ebugs in the file?

sleimgruber06
2006-08-31, 11:02 PM
Just thought i would tag this on the end of this thread...

We cannot for the life of us, get our ramps to show up in ceiling plan views. Checked view depth, workset visibility, view scale etc etc etc ad infinitum. Has anyone else had this problem? When i pick it in another view and edit it, i can actually edit it in the ceiling plan but when i finish sketch it vanishes!!??

It might just be that our project is so old and dogged now that its just another one of those fun littl ebugs in the file?

First off, being curious myself, only 18 years of age, meaning little experience in architecture, but don't underestimate yet, I have 2 years of Revit experience, 1.5 years of AutoCAD exp. and have 'studied' architectural design for the past 4 years; why would you want ramp to show in ceiling plans?

bpayne
2006-08-31, 11:04 PM
I was going to ask that!

Mr Spot
2006-09-01, 01:59 AM
It has to do with the way Ramps are represented in plan views by revit. Imagine them as being 3D geometry that is turned off in plan and 2d linework used to represent them in plan. As that is essentially how they have been programmed in revit. For this reason they aren't displaying properly in your ceiling plan.

Best solution i can think of would be the old filled region. If, of course, a floor with a slope arrow isn't sufficient.

You'd want to see the ramp soffit in the ceiling plan simply because its there and thats what you should see. Seems reason enough to show it. Also helps to gauge ceiling heights at critical points.

mibzim
2006-09-07, 04:05 AM
First off, being curious myself, only 18 years of age, meaning little experience in architecture, but don't underestimate yet, I have 2 years of Revit experience, 1.5 years of AutoCAD exp. and have 'studied' architectural design for the past 4 years; why would you want ramp to show in ceiling plans?

We dont have a ceiling in this area, and we straight through the ramp to all the structure above! Reason enough?

It has to do with the way Ramps are represented in plan views by revit. Imagine them as being 3D geometry that is turned off in plan and 2d linework used to represent them in plan. As that is essentially how they have been programmed in revit. For this reason they aren't displaying properly in your ceiling plan.

Best solution i can think of would be the old filled region. If, of course, a floor with a slope arrow isn't sufficient.

You'd want to see the ramp soffit in the ceiling plan simply because its there and thats what you should see. Seems reason enough to show it. Also helps to gauge ceiling heights at critical points.

Yeah, thanks chris. We eventually resorted to filled regions. Glad to know its not our project though and that revit does have a problem with it. Might submit a support request

jhansen.143877
2016-06-02, 04:42 PM
Nearly 10 years later and it looks like this may still be an issue!

We have a ramp that we would like to show in a reflected ceiling plan. The ramp is curved (which means it has a helical surface) so using a sloped floor won't work. It would be nice for that associated soffit to show up in the RCP and be able to tag a ceiling height.

Does anyone have any ideas?

david_peterson
2016-06-02, 06:03 PM
To Make the ramp, use an in-place Blended Sweep. You can use the same profile and offset the 2nd on in elevation.

At least that's how I've seen it done in the past.

Let me know if I need to post an example.