PDA

View Full Version : Celing Tag parameter: room name

s.messing
2006-08-31, 05:49 PM
When I think I am good, someone comes along and explains to me how I'm not! Trying to: make a RCP ceiling tag that shows (automatically): room name, height, ceiling. Seems ridiculously simple, right? Here's what I did (most recent attempt):
Went to New... Family... Room Tag
Settings... Family Category and Parameters... Ceiling Tag
Made a label and chose... Height Offset From Level
Made a text tag that said A.F.F (next to the height label)
Made another Label called... Type Name
Made another label, (select parameter box popped up), Chose Add... (because nothing looked like a room name from the list of givens), Chose Select... (under Annotation) chose Room Name
I then loaded this new ceiling tag family into the project. The height from level worked, the finish material (type name) worked, but the room name did not work. It shows a RED question mark instead of the actual room name. So, (in the project) I went into Settings... Project Parameters...Add... Shared Parameters... (so it could appear in schedules and tags), changed the Group parameter under... to Identity Data and clicked OK. The RED question mark turned blue (so now its editable), but it still doesn't automatically pick up the room name. Where have I gone wrong?
Also, I repeated the process choosing Select Parameter... Add... Shared Parameter... Select... (From Room Tags) Chose Name... Unfortunately, that didn't do it either. Any ideas?

Thanks,
Stephen

PS: also, everybody has screenshots as attachments that are one click away, but I have been cutting and pasting mine into word docs. Is that annoying? How should I be doing it for the ease of everybody else out there looking at my screenshots?

luigi
2006-08-31, 09:11 PM
Do you really need a ceiling tag showing the room name? Because you have have room tags (and it can shown only the name..it can be customizable) in reflected ceiling plans...

There is no way you can automatically figure out which ceiling is in which room...there isn't currently a cross reference between ceilings and rooms.... unless you create a shared parameter (as you have described) and manually put the room name in the ceiling tag...which I wouldn't suggest....

Can you just add a room tag in the ceiling plan and line it up with your ceiling tag?

twiceroadsfool
2006-08-31, 09:14 PM
What luigi said. Early on we didnt think we could do it, becuase the room tags didnt work in the RCP. Then we realized our Room Height setting was down lower that our RCP was taken, so the *room* wasnt up that high.

We just fire room tags around all of our RCP's now... Especially with rooms that have multiple ceilings, dropped soffits, etc. Its going to have the room name in there twice, if you put it in a ceiling tag....