PDA

View Full Version : Placing Rooms works on two levels, not on the third

abink
2006-09-01, 03:50 AM
This time it's about the 'Room' command in Revit Building 9. I'm working on a three level residence and I have set rooms in my basement and main level. When I go to do the same on the upper level [between 7 to 9 feet above the main level], it gives me warnings about redundant rooms and so on.

I understand that my settings need to be corrected—I just don't know which ones. My Upper Limit is the same level I am putting the rooms in, and I don't understand what the Offset number does. Otherwise I don't see anything else to switch around. I know it won't allow me to set it to 0 feet...

Thanks for any enlightening comments,
Axel

luigi
2006-09-01, 04:06 AM
It's all about the offset based on the level...let's say that your level is level 1, but your offset is 10', and your secondlevel is actually 9'...then there are 2 rooms overlapping....if you cut a section, you can change the view visibility (vg shortcut) and go to rooms and turn on "interior fill" you will see if the rooms overlap in section......or not.... (btw, I believe the default is 8' so if your level is 7' there is a 1' overlap...)
Let me know..

This time it's about the 'Room' command in Revit Building 9. I'm working on a three level residence and I have set rooms in my basement and main level. When I go to do the same on the upper level [between 7 to 9 feet above the main level], it gives me warnings about redundant rooms and so on.

I understand that my settings need to be corrected—I just don't know which ones. My Upper Limit is the same level I am putting the rooms in, and I don't understand what the Offset number does. Otherwise I don't see anything else to switch around. I know it won't allow me to set it to 0 feet...

Thanks for any enlightening comments,
Axel

abink
2006-09-01, 05:12 PM
Luigi,

Here's the surprise: I had understood that one needs to avoid overlapping rooms, but checked again after reading your explanation, just to make sure I hadn't goofed there after all.

Not getting anywhere, I went ahead to a different point [header of a door], for which I had to change the View Properties. I raised the visibility of the cut plane, then lowered it back to 4'-0"...believing that's where the cut plane was before. Suddenly all my multiple room entries showed up. I understand now that the Offset is an indication as to how high the room tags will show on a floor plan. Once the cut plane is above that, the room signs don't show up anymore and one cannot click on them either. My Offset was set at 5', the cut plane at 6'-0".

Thanks for your help anyway,
Axel

Melarch
2006-09-02, 01:13 PM
In Revit Building release 9 one of the new features of rooms is the room bounding element which also provides volumetric calculations.

Select the room boundary object, not the room tag in floor plan view. Select the Properties button on the Option bar. The default Limit Offset Height for the room boundary object is 10'. Change the Limit Offset height to the height between Levels and this will resolve your problem with overlapping room areas.