PDA

View Full Version : Small list of things..

radu.grosu
2006-09-01, 11:22 AM
Could somebody give me an advice on the following:

Is there the possibility to determine who's cut by whom? (ex: a slab alway cuts trough the walls but the beams cut the slab).

How can I constrain line end to another? (when building a new detail component for ex?)

What is wrong with stairs? - I cannot join them, cannot use spot dimensions on them etc..

How could I make model elements non selectable while drafting - I often copy structural elements by mistake...

How can I use subcategories for system families? It is imperative to control appearence, visibility for subtypes of walls, floors, etc..separately but this seems not to work.

There has got to be a better way to make sections not appear in certain views they do intersect, but are unwanted; when I have many of them I just keep preselecting them by mistake instead of doing my drafting or whatever - they are all over the screen...
And why do elevation not appear in the views they intersect?

Why don't the edges of filled regions snap to the existing parallel lines when stretching them using the shape handles? And why does such a simple drafting operation which does not need so much computing take so long? AutoCad used to be lightingfast..

The array edit box is sometimes so far away from the place of the array that not even a zoom all is enough, I must zoom out further! Sometimes it works ok.. how can I avoid this - it is so annoying I usually give up on using arrays just because of this.

Thanks

SkiSouth
2006-09-01, 11:32 AM
Good questions, most of us have had them. Have you worked the tutorials that come with Revit?
Most of your questions appear to be ones based on getting use to views (as we all have had to do)
Do you come from an AutoCAD background?

radu.grosu
2006-09-04, 11:53 AM
Yes, I guess most of us have AutoCAD background.. Revit does help me but I'm currently spinning around trying to take a decision whether to continue with it or not on the project I am currently working on. I tried out Structure but the lack of detailing capabilities is striking no matter what the guys say. I'm kinda out of hope..

Andre Baros
2006-09-05, 11:58 AM
Here's some quick answers:

Is there the possibility to determine who's cut by whom? (ex: a slab alway cuts trough the walls but the beams cut the slab).
Generally, things work the way you would build them. Structure is continuous, and wall sit on slabs unless you draw them otherwise. If you follow the logic of draw it the way you build it, these things usually make sense as you go along.

How can I constrain line end to another? (when building a new detail component for ex?)
Detail lines can be constrained when you draw them. For example, after you draw a line from one ref. plane to another, you'll see an open lock at the center of each reference plane, click each of those to lock the line to those reference planes. If you already drew the line and want to go back and lock it you can align the end of the line to another element (even if they're already aligned) and look for the lock symbol, or drag them apart and then back together.

What is wrong with stairs? - I cannot join them, cannot use spot dimensions on them etc..
Stairs have a lot of their own rules which sometimes seam wrong at first. I don't know why you can't join them or add spot dimensions but maybe one day that will be added.

How could I make model elements non selectable while drafting - I often copy structural elements by mistake...
You can pin elements you don't want moving (Useful for existing conditions, column lines, structure) and use the filter tool when you're selecting by window in details to take out anything which isn't a detail. For structural elements in particular, it is sometimes useful to link in the structural model from a separate file.

How can I use subcategories for system families? It is imperative to control appearance, visibility for subtypes of walls, floors, etc..separately but this seems not to work.
You can't control the subtypes of system families, but you can use filters to help with some of what you may be trying to do.

There has got to be a better way to make sections not appear in certain views they do intersect, but are unwanted; when I have many of them I just keep preselecting them by mistake instead of doing my drafting or whatever - they are all over the screen...
And why do elevation not appear in the views they intersect?
If you have too many views, delete some. I assume that if you have so many that this is a problem, than they are not all being used in the sheet set, delete some views which are only there for you reference after your done using them... and draw them over if your working in that area again. You can also set detail views to only show up in their parent view, and you can set any view to be hidden at scales courser than x (for example, don't show elevations at scales courser than 1/8" etc.)

Why don't the edges of filled regions snap to the existing parallel lines when stretching them using the shape handles? And why does such a simple drafting operation which does not need so much computing take so long? AutoCAD used to be lighting fast..
Stretching the shape handles isn't meant to be precise, if you need a specific alignment, edit the fill and lock the boundary to the lines you need it aligned to. Sounds like there may be some issue there if detailing is going so slow, it usually moves at normal speeds for me.

The array edit box is sometimes so far away from the place of the array that not even a zoom all is enough, I must zoom out further! Sometimes it works ok.. how can I avoid this - it is so annoying I usually give up on using arrays just because of this.
The array box is always above the center of the array, I don't know of any way to change this, but I've never not been able to find it, how big are the elements you're trying to array?

Hope this helps a little.

radu.grosu
2006-09-07, 11:37 AM
Some of it helped. Thanks for your effort anyway..

Brian Myers
2006-09-07, 12:06 PM
Anything you still have questions on?

Also, you'll likely get more responses if you post things individually. You also can search for them on these Forums, many of these questions have likely already been answered in the past...

:beer: