PDA

View Full Version : uplight lights

jhudtwalcker
2006-09-02, 01:51 AM
any idea why can't I rotate an uplight component to be attached vertically to a wall, instead of horizontally to a ceiling?? or how can I do it?

D_Driver
2006-09-02, 03:14 PM
everything....
all aspects
everything...behavior, display control, scheduling....
have to do with the family template...so if there is a family that has several templates like a light fixture, (ceiling hosted, wall hosted and non hosted) you can bet they will not like being hosted by the other.
While you can change a light fixture to an electrical fixture (for scheduling reasons perhaps) in Settings>Family categories and parameters
it will remain a ceiling based fixture.
Nothing in that I know of can change this base fact of families

workarounds
1) - create a new wall based light fixture, copy the 3D geometry if complex (sometimes is easier to just recreate. make the ref lines, parameters, dims, symbolic lines, adjust the lampier settings- essentially creating a new wall based fixture.
2) if the ceiling light has some adjustment as to height, (not all do) then you can just align it to the wall...

3) if the ceiling light has no adjustment as to height, put a sliver of ceiling, adjust height of ceiling to light location, add light to small piece of ceiling

SkiSouth
2006-09-02, 04:04 PM
The light family probably has always vertical checked. You'll have to edit the family to change this, and then look under Settings->Family Categories and Parameters. Uncheck always vertical. You can also change several aspects of the family here. Explore. Also you can find more families at the Revit exchange on AUGI (HERE), (http://www.augi.com/revit/default.asp?page=372)or look at Revitcity.com

D_Driver
2006-09-02, 05:30 PM
mmm....am I missing something here...??? - maybe I misunderstood the question or made a bad assumption..

any idea why can't I rotate an uplight component to be attached vertically to a wall, instead of horizontally to a ceiling?? or how can I do it?

I assumed we are talking about a ceiling based light fixture...(though he does not say that)a family that by definition (programing) is ceiling hosted will not rotate period regardless of the setting of always vertical. Or maybe I should say I do not see a way to do so...

jhudtwalcker
2006-09-03, 08:06 PM
mmm....am I missing something here...??? - maybe I misunderstood the question or made a bad assumption..

I assumed we are talking about a ceiling based light fixture...(though he does not say that)a family that by definition (programing) is ceiling hosted will not rotate period regardless of the setting of always vertical. Or maybe I should say I do not see a way to do so...You assumed wright. It is a ceiling based light fixture, as i can see... anyone have a wall based one? a strip one?