PDA

View Full Version : How to make an arch?

Dave Lewis
2006-09-04, 07:02 PM
I got 2 situations.
I have a porch where one side of the opening is the corner of building and the other side is a pillar. How do I make an arched opening over the porch. Is the pillar a wall, like do I outline the porch with walls and then make some sort of a doorway?
Second situation is an opening between 2 rooms. There is a header between the rooms and so I want the opening to have an arch on the top. How do I do that?

sbrown
2006-09-04, 07:30 PM
You'll want to create a generic model wall based family. Create the Arched opening you want with the parameters you will want, ie spring height, radius, etc. Then this family will work for both situations. Draw a wall around your entire porch, place this family in the wall as needed, then adjust the base of the wall up to your spring point, then use columns for the posts. For your arched header in the interior condition the same applies, create the wall across the opening(I like a thicker wall, since narrow arches always feel lame to me) then place this family. I also like to add symbol lines(dash) in plan that are on a subcategory I call overhead in the family.

Henry D
2006-09-04, 07:36 PM
What I do for arches at porches is make an in place family extrusion (see attached), but you could just as easily make a wall and edit the profile.

There are families for interior arches ...I have attached two, one elliptical and one with a smooth radius.

dbaldacchino
2006-09-04, 08:10 PM
Nice work Henry!

I've had trouble with arches when making them by editing the cut profile of a wall. You have to be careful about the interaction of the edited wall and adjacent walls (wall joins). I'd opt for the in-place void method or wall hosted families similar to what you posted.

Dave Lewis
2006-09-05, 03:30 AM
What I do for arches at porches is make an in place family extrusion (see attached), but you could just as easily make a wall and edit the profile.

There are families for interior arches ...I have attached two, one elliptical and one with a smooth radius.

Thankx Henry thats sweet
Then I can tweak that to make my own custom sizes
perfect