PDA

View Full Version : Slab Edges vs. Grade Beam Modelling

BillyGrey
2004-06-13, 11:40 PM
Hello all,

I'm modelling a slab on grade concrete foundation with typ. slab edge reveals.
Those are real nice, and I can create any slab edge footing I want (really nice), but how do I accomplish modelling grade beams/interior footings without a slab edge to "hook" onto?

I would like to stay away from subgrade footing walls if possible, and 2d work arounds in section, etc.

I really am shooting for a pure 100% slab model .

THANKS!

BillyGrey

aggockel50321
2004-06-14, 12:06 AM
but how do I accomplish modelling grade beams/interior footings without a slab edge to "hook" onto?

I would like to stay away from subgrade footing walls if possible, and 2d work arounds in section, etc.

I really am shooting for a pure 100% slab model .

THANKS!

BillyGrey
Not quite sure what you're after above, but search the forum using the key word foundation, & you'll see a lot of opinions on how to accomplish what you want.

You basically got floors, walls, & in-place or custom families that'll accomplish the task.

BillyGrey
2004-06-14, 12:54 AM
Thanks Andrew,

This thread answered my questions nicely:
http://forums.augi.com/showthread.php?t=4454&highlight=foundation

Of course, I did not realize until reading this post the possibilities and limitations.

Thanks amigo.

David Sammons
2004-06-14, 12:00 PM
Billy,

When modeling grade beam foundations, I use Structural Beams (concrete beams) from the structural menu.

Either Slabs or Walls work well for shallow spread footings.

Dave S.

andy.drake
2009-07-21, 06:24 AM
All I did was created the slab/foundation. Then you go to modelling>host sweep>floor slab edge. From there you just click onto the sides of the foundation and it puts it in. that's the easiest way to create a slab-on-grade with turn-downs.

That's if you want the edges, not the beams

patricks
2009-07-21, 06:22 PM
All I did was created the slab/foundation. Then you go to modelling>host sweep>floor slab edge. From there you just click onto the sides of the foundation and it puts it in. that's the easiest way to create a slab-on-grade with turn-downs.

That's if you want the edges, not the beams

Yeah the OP was asking about the grade beams. However, this post is over 5 years old. Wow this was back when we were on Revit 6.1 :shock:

I have also wondered about a good method for modeling thickened slab areas below load-bearing walls. Wall footings are okay, but they don't show the sloped sides and don't really look correct in section.

David Sammons
2009-08-24, 06:21 PM
I suggest modeling thickened slabs at interior walls as In-Place Families. In the family editor, you can sweep a thickened slab profile along the path of the walls. I would model all of the thickened slabs as ONE In Place Family.

David Sammons