PDA

View Full Version : I dont want a level but want the level tag

Justin Marchiel
2006-09-05, 09:57 PM
I dont want to have lots of levels like t/o wall, t/o railing, u/s sofft etc. but i would like to have the level symbol to use to mark there elevations. So i created a generic annotation that looked exaclty like the elevation symbol and it works but i have a few questions.
1. is there anyway for it to "read" the elevation instead of me having to type it in manually (I am trying to avoid typing errors in the heights)?
2. is there any way to attach a line in it so that when i place it, i can drag the line out to what ever length i want (so far i can get the line in, but it is a fixed length).

Thanks

Justin

dbaldacchino
2006-09-05, 10:01 PM
Try making the spot elevation to look like the level annotation. Then add text for what you're describing (T.O. RAILING, etc.). Let the spot elevation give you the exact height.

Justin Marchiel
2006-09-05, 10:15 PM
that is a good suggestion but i did think of that. The problem that i had with it is that i cant get the text seperate from the heigth label and i can't get a linetype to the leader.

Justin

Scott D Davis
2006-09-05, 10:31 PM
that is a good suggestion but i did think of that. The problem that i had with it is that i cant get the text seperate from the heigth label and i can't get a linetype to the leader.

Justin
That's your best bet if you can live with the solid linetype leader, and the text as a suffix on the same line as the dimension.

Justin Marchiel
2006-09-05, 10:48 PM
if that is the case what i am going to do is create a reference plane (as there might be one there already) and attach a line to it (this will give me the same line type). i will then use my spot elevation and tag the line (or reference plane) and just create a short leader. i have to add some text to it, so i guess this will be as close as it gets. at least i will have the parametric elevation.

Thanks for your help.

Justin

dbaldacchino
2006-09-05, 11:00 PM
This is what my spot elevation looks like.

Scott D Davis
2006-09-05, 11:02 PM
if that is the case what i am going to do is create a reference plane (as there might be one there already) and attach a line to it (this will give me the same line type). i will then use my spot elevation and tag the line (or reference plane) and just create a short leader. i have to add some text to it, so i guess this will be as close as it gets. at least i will have the parametric elevation.

Thanks for your help.

Justin
The only "line" that will report elevation would be a model line...so be careful! You will end up with all of these little lines in your other views, and not know where they came from!

Funny *real* story about workarounds....I have a user in my office that could not wait the few minutes for me to show them how to create the "null leader" that will allow a leader without text. So this person started drawing leaders in views.....using model lines......and drafted in the arrowheads with model lines as well.

Well, this is a workset project. The other person on the job did a Save to Central, and then came to me panicking, "I think I found a bug in Revit! There are little short lines with arrows in all my views! They're everywhere!"

After a few minutes of detective work, I found the problem......

Justin Marchiel
2006-09-05, 11:13 PM
What i did was align a drafting line with the model (in my test case a wall top) and locked it. the spot dimension tool then reports the elevation of the line that is attached to the wall top. I had no issues with using drafting lines to report the elevations. I wanted drafted lines for that purpose...so they would not show in other views.

That is part of the reason for using the reference plane as well.

Thanks

Justin

dbaldacchino
2006-09-05, 11:15 PM
Haha good one! I've been creating a few of these little lines (to adjust dimensions mainly and get rid of fractions, but I'm cautious so they don't show up in other views). What is the "null" leader you're talking about?

dfriesen
2006-09-06, 12:23 AM
This is what my spot elevation looks like.Great idea - one I hope I'll remember when I need it.

Scott D Davis
2006-09-06, 02:58 AM
What is the "null" leader you're talking about?
It's basically a generic annotation family with no annotation and no linework. You load it and place the "tag" and click the "add leaders" button in the options bar. This creates a leader with no text.

greg.mcdowell
2006-09-06, 03:39 AM
This is what my spot elevation looks like.

Are those colors you use in the model or just for demonstration purposes here?

I've been toying with the idea of using color to mean things (like "Blue" means "Link"). There are times when it would be good to, for instance, tell which dimensions are rounded and which aren't (i have designers who insist on 1/256" accuracy <sigh>) or which keynotes are actual keynotes and which are text (need to look into User notes a bit I think).

Whatever the reason it seems like it might be useful and as long as you print with colors as black it shouldn't really matter (though it would be great if I could make DWF's with color and print to black from there... and maybe I can... more to look into I guess)

dbaldacchino
2006-09-06, 05:22 AM
Are you referring to the red spot elevation? If so, that's because it was selected. I left that one in black...levels come in as blue so you can discern which is which. I do use colors to identify things. I have some "dumb" callouts that I show differently so one knows what's Revit intelligent and what's not. I also assign colors to structural members so they stand out in plan, elevation etc.

rdaniel
2007-10-23, 10:31 PM
i can't get a linetype to the leader.

Justin

Not sure if you were referring to changing the linetype of the leader, but you can change it. I am having a little difficulty with it however. I can only get the leader linetype to change by overriding it in the view. It doesn't matter what you make it in the object styles, it still shows up as a solid line. You can select similar and override by element all day though. Go figure?

troberts
2007-10-26, 08:48 PM
David,
I was looking at your thumbnail post. Is that a sloping joist I see there? I am looking for a double pitched joist family.

Thanks, Tim

dbaldacchino
2007-10-27, 04:21 AM
Yep, that's a sloped joist. For double pitched joists, we've been using the truss editor found in Revit Structure. It would be handy to have that in Architectural as well.