PDA

View Full Version : Coordination Review

tonyisenhoff
2006-09-07, 02:22 PM
Revit Building 9.0 linking a Revit Structure 3 model

When doing a coordination review with the structural model, I get the attached issues (error 1.png). My choices are to Postpone or Do nothing. Well, I want to FIX this error, not postpone or do nothing...

I found the grid in question in my project and stopped monitoring it (error 2.png) - the issue still shows up in my coordination review.

How can I get rid of this without Postponing or doing nothing???

luigi
2006-09-07, 03:21 PM
To fix it, just "postpone", then fix it!
To just ignore it, then "do nothing" but it should come up again next time unless you fix it, or stop monitoring it....

BTW, when you stop monitoring it, can you still select it and move it? or is it now part of the link?

[QUOTE=tonyisenhoff]Revit Building 9.0 linking a Revit Structure 3 model

When doing a coordination review with the structural model, I get the attached issues (error 1.png). My choices are to Postpone or Do nothing. Well, I want to FIX this error, not postpone or do nothing...
QUOTE]

tonyisenhoff
2006-09-07, 03:33 PM
I tried to postpone, then fix by un-monitoring, but the issue still shows up.

I also tried to nothing, but as long as I have Rejected checked at the bottom of the Coordination Review dialog, the issue shows up.

Does it matter that it was originally a rejected issue?

To answer Luigi's question - When I stop monitoring, I end up with my grid and the structural grid... and yes, I can move mine around.

luigi
2006-09-07, 03:47 PM
hMM...so when you stop monitoring the grid, it still keeps your grid visible...that doesn't sound right.

I mean, you didn't have a grid before you began monitoring it...right? and when you started monitoring the grid, it basically copied the structural drawing grid into your project (so you have 2 grids, one from structural and one from your).

If it truly stopped being monitored, you should be able to delete the grid and there should be no warnings...since it isn't monitored...
On a side note...if you have architectural grids established, and then you "monitor" the structural grid, you will end up with 3 grids?

I have too many questions to try to be able to help you....do you think that it is something from the structural that is causing the error, not the architectural? Did the Structural monitor your grid? If so, then the error should/will show up until the A/S situation is solved...

If nothing of what I wrote helps...can you elaborate a little more about both the architectural and structural "monitoring" situation?

I tried to postpone, then fix by un-monitoring, but the issue still shows up.

I also tried to nothing, but as long as I have Rejected checked at the bottom of the Coordination Review dialog, the issue shows up.

Does it matter that it was originally a rejected issue?

To answer Luigi's question - When I stop monitoring, I end up with my grid and the structural grid... and yes, I can move mine around.

tonyisenhoff
2006-09-07, 03:57 PM
Ok - Here is a quick review of what we've done:

We originally had our Architectural model including the "Architectural grids".
We gave a copy of our model to the Structural Engineer. They copied our grids in for a starting point. Then modified. They now "own" the grid locations... I'm not sure if they're monitoring.
They gave us back their Structural model. We linked into our project.
We didn't copy the structural grids because we already had our own grids in our model. We modified our grid locations to match any changes they did. Then we monitored their grids. That way we will know of any future changes to their grids... There was no need to copy AND monitor since we already had our own grid lines.
Now I'm a bit fuzzy on how we got to this point today because it's a project in our office and I'm supporting the team technically. My ultimate goal is to understand project coordination better and then clean up the Coordination Review dialog & make sure we're all happy.
Does that help on where we're at?

luigi
2006-09-07, 05:09 PM
The only thing that puzzles me is that when you say you are monitoring the grid from the linked file....I am unable to monitor any element from the linked file...I am able to copy the grid which enables me to monitor it.

If the engineer is using revit, then most likeley they monitored your grid...which doesn't explain the error yet...at least that is what I would think a Revit structure guy would do...it's logical...but you would need to ask them...

so, my question is, how were you able to monitor a grid of a linked fiile without having "copied" it first?

Now...
If I "copied" a grid, and then told it to stop monitoring it...I should be able to delete it...but if you need it...welll...I am confused

Then...are you monitoring your "project" or the "link"?

Again too many questions...sorry :(

Ok - Here is a quick review of what we've done:

We originally had our Architectural model including the "Architectural grids".
We gave a copy of our model to the Structural Engineer. They copied our grids in for a starting point. Then modified. They now "own" the grid locations... I'm not sure if they're monitoring.
They gave us back their Structural model. We linked into our project.
We didn't copy the structural grids because we already had our own grids in our model. We modified our grid locations to match any changes they did. Then we monitored their grids. That way we will know of any future changes to their grids... There was no need to copy AND monitor since we already had our own grid lines.
Now I'm a bit fuzzy on how we got to this point today because it's a project in our office and I'm supporting the team technically. My ultimate goal is to understand project coordination better and then clean up the Coordination Review dialog & make sure we're all happy.
Does that help on where we're at?

luigi
2006-09-07, 05:25 PM
I just experimented a bit...

I am able to monitor a linked element (grid) without copying it by doing this...

Clicked on "Monitor" then selected one of my elements (a grid not from the link) and then selecting a linked grid.

But, once the grid is monitored fromt the linked file, I am not able to select it to un-monitor it...so this must not be your case...since you were able to monitor it.

Are you sure that the error is still present?

sorry, without actually having your files it is difficult to help...:(

tonyisenhoff
2006-09-07, 05:30 PM
You can stop monitoring by picking your grid, then selecting the Stop Monitor button the options bar...

luigi
2006-09-07, 05:36 PM
You can, but that is not what I was referring to...

On another note, if you are worried about coordination with structural...why are you monitoring your own grid? Your grid has no connection with the structural grid....

nevermind, that was a silly question...for sure you are monitoring your grid with the structural grid...

You can stop monitoring by picking your grid, then selecting the Stop Monitor button the options bar...

luigi
2006-09-07, 05:40 PM
Do you still have an error in your coordination review?