PDA

View Full Version : should i start with a shared parameter...?

Justin Marchiel
2006-09-08, 03:28 PM
At some stage of a project i find that i need to create a custom tag with custom parameters. for example a paint colour schedule. it is easy just to create a parameter that will schedule and that is all i need at the moment, but what happens if later in the job i want to tag the paint colour and i already created the colour scheudle without shared parameters? is there an easy way to change them? or should i just start out with shared parameters for the what ifs in the future?

How does everyone else handle the making of schedule parameters?

Thanks

Justin

Dimitri Harvalias
2006-09-08, 05:24 PM
That's one of the inherent problems with databases. Once something is established as element type A it's tough to change it downstream to element type B (try changing a text field to a numeric field in a database without losing something in the translation).

This is also another argument for having the ability to reference one parameter to be the value of another. iecreate the new shared parameter and have it automatically filled in by the formula
=value of project parameter A

If in doubt I'd create it as a shared parameter right from the start

Justin Marchiel
2006-09-08, 05:50 PM
that is what i expected. if it is a shared parameter, i can do what i need with it later (if needed).

Thanks

Justin