PDA

View Full Version : does a wall know that it is on the north face?

Justin Marchiel
2006-09-08, 03:33 PM
in my finish schedules i use north, south, east, west to designate the finish (ie north wall - painted gwb). instead of using the room for the finish parameter, could i get the wall to tell me what the finish is and which direction it is?

I guess that i could add a direction parameter, but at that point, i could have just kept the finish parameter of the room and assigned it there. then i could take advantage of the schedule keys.

Is there any easy way of doing this? i would not want to have ceramic tile material on a wall and my schedule still reads painted gwb (if someone didn't catch it). that would be my reason for having the wall report the finish.

Thanks

Justin

robert.manna
2006-09-08, 03:41 PM
Hmmm, you might be able to do something with keynotes. If you assign proper keynotes to your materials, and the proper materials are assigned to your walls, then you should know what you have on each wall. As to being able to clearly identify this in a schedule.... You might need to add a shared or project parameter to the wall so that you can give it a unique ID (maybe correlated with your room numbering?). You can schedule all your walls individually, however you can't really schedule where in the building a particular wall might be, except its level. The wall knows what is is, so yeah, it would seem that you just need some designator to correlate where in the project the wall actually "is". If you want specific color of paint per wall, then you could add a thin layer with a "paint material" or just add a shared/project parameter for paint color/type.

HTH,
-R

ron.sanpedro
2006-09-08, 04:51 PM
An inherent understanding of direction would be cool for passive solar stuff as well. Imagine a schedule that calcs the area of south facing glass and the area of thermal mass, and then gives you your ratio. Stretch the building out, change the glazing, change the floor finish, whatever, and you get instant feedback on you ratios. Cool!
Crossed fingers for a current answer, and certainly a wishlist if not.

Gordon

robert.manna
2006-09-08, 05:42 PM
An inherent understanding of direction would be cool for passive solar stuff as well. Imagine a schedule that calcs the area of south facing glass and the area of thermal mass, and then gives you your ratio. Stretch the building out, change the glazing, change the floor finish, whatever, and you get instant feedback on you ratios. Cool!
Crossed fingers for a current answer, and certainly a wishlist if not.

Gordon
However, this directional understanding is somewhat different from what you were originally looking for. I've worked on project were project or building "north" was totally different from actual north. Not to mention that you can export to Green Building Studio to do analysis (of course this isn't as nice as having it internal to Revit...) You could create a shared parameter that you would have to identify for every wall as to its orientation, which you could then use to do the complex calculations you're looking for in a schedule. Close second maybe....?

-R

Justin Marchiel
2006-09-08, 05:53 PM
that was what i thought. there is currently not automatic way of REVIT knowing where orientation the wall has, you have to tell it.

Thanks

Justin