PDA

View Full Version : placing a vertical reveal in a horizontal wall sweep

tim.101799
2006-09-08, 08:23 PM
I have a couple of wall types with various wall sweeps (cornice profiles) built into the wall type. However I also have vertical reveals which I am placing manually in these walls. But the reveals only cut the basic wall geometry and not the sweep. Is there anyway to get the reveals to cut the sweep as well? Or does anyone know of any work arounds?

dbaldacchino
2006-09-08, 10:22 PM
You might have to use a curtainwall with custom panels & mullions.

luigi
2006-09-08, 11:30 PM
I don't have revit at home to verify, but in the wall sweep, isn't there an option to make the sweep cuttable? Let me know....

I have a couple of wall types with various wall sweeps (cornice profiles) built into the wall type. However I also have vertical reveals which I am placing manually in these walls. But the reveals only cut the basic wall geometry and not the sweep. Is there anyway to get the reveals to cut the sweep as well? Or does anyone know of any work arounds?

luigi
2006-09-08, 11:40 PM
Well....actually I do have revit and checked...the option I remembered is there, but it doesn't work as I had expected.... :(

I don't have revit at home to verify, but in the wall sweep, isn't there an option to make the sweep cuttable? Let me know....

greg.mcdowell
2006-09-09, 12:17 AM
You might have to use a curtainwall with custom panels & mullions. or, God forbid, an in place Void Family to cut the Wall...

luigi
2006-09-09, 12:45 AM
In case you don't get Greg's sarcasm(right Greg?) you can make an in-place component void cut your wall instead of a hosted reveal....it will cut the sweep also,and it isn't a bad method...imo

greg.mcdowell
2006-09-09, 12:48 AM
Well... there was a little sarcasm there <grin> - I think you're right though, it's probably a pretty good solution. I know about the overhead involved with in-place Families so I'm trying to always find solutions that don't require them... but sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do!

SkiSouth
2006-09-09, 01:14 AM
you can use the cjoint family I posted HERE (http://forums.augi.com/showthread.php?t=45421&highlight=floor+slope) to form a reveal that cuts sweeps. It attaches to the face of the wall, and if the object crosses that face, and is cuttable, this family should cut it. You attach the family to the wal in elevation, then it can be rotated to the angle desired, then extended as neceessary. Factory - interesting to note on the 3d view, the integral sweeps show patterns on ends where cut, whereas the actual wall material does not.

If you want the cut to show material you'll have to add a small extrusion lining to the family and give it an assignable material definition. Would be difficult for varying materials, although the family is definable by length.

dbaldacchino
2006-09-09, 02:14 AM
or, God forbid, an in place Void Family to cut the Wall...
My feelings are hurt now :Oops:

I like those generic model face based families. Do those also cut other generic model families? You cannot use in-place voids in that case since there is no in-place generic model category. I've had to add parametric voids within the fGM amily before, but that's not always convenient.