PDA

View Full Version : finish schedule in a dot matrix format

Justin Marchiel
2006-09-08, 08:29 PM
is there any way to get revit to show a schedule in a dot matrix format? what i mean is that all the floor materials in the project are listed at the top. with room a there is a dot under carpet, and under b there is a dot under tile, and under c there is a dot under carpet and tile (both materials in the room).

Is there a way to accomplish this in revit? currently looking at it with the various material finish noted in text seems hard to follow.

Thanks.

Justin

robert.manna
2006-09-08, 08:59 PM
You'd have to get each material as a shared/project parameter that could be "picked" yes/no parameter, for every room. Then you could go into a room and check off the various finish types. Somewhat tedious, but if you've really got to have it... In the non-formated schedule view the yes/no parameter will appear with a yes or no, but when placed on a sheet the yes no appears as a tick, not a dot, but close. Hope this helps....

-R

Justin Marchiel
2006-09-08, 09:03 PM
seems quite tedeous, especially since i would like to have west wall finish, north wall finish, etc.

This would create a ton of shared parameters and be hard to sort thru on a large job with lots of finishes. how do you do a finish schedule? I am particularry interrested in a situation where you have 2 materials on one surface. to me it looks kind of hocky to have "carpet, resilient flooring, ceramic tile" in one field. it is also pretty hard to read.

any way of identifying the finishes on a floor plan? I am trying to brain storm the "better" way of doing it.

Thanks

Justin

robert.manna
2006-09-08, 09:08 PM
seems quite tedeous, especially since i would like to have west wall finish, north wall finish, etc.
Hey, I gave you fair warning.... :) Sometimes my mind works in wild ways...

any way of identifying the finishes on a floor plan? I am trying to brain storm the "better" way of doing it.
We typically code finishes, but then again except in lobby areas and other unique spaces our projects tend to lend themselves to simple finish schedules. You can create a custom room tag that only reports the default finish parameters that are given in the room type. If you were coding, A, B, C, D, etc, you could have a multiple letter code.. I guess if a wall did have more than one material on it we would create an elevation, and given how easy that is in Revit, why not....? With the elevation you could then use material keynotes to quickly ID the materials without having to actually write a note.

My thoughts, any others...?

-R

Justin Marchiel
2006-09-08, 10:19 PM
that is the way that i used to do things (codes) but when we switched to adt i could create faster schedules (with the matrix) and i found it easier to read, because you did not need to know that a means carpet, b means tile etc. we had some job where a multipurpose room code would be "a/b/f/g.f/g.a.b" which seems really hard to read.

I like the interior elevation approach because it is so easy, but i dont really like have lots of sheets. but this seems to be the best option in revit where i can't schedule the way i want. and i definetetly dont want to "draft" a schedule.

I suppose that where it did have a multiple finish i could make the finish tag report "x" which would mean see interior elevations. for floor finish changes i could just denote the finish line on the floor plan (as usual).

as i have found there are different (maybe not better) way of documenting in REVIT than our standards dictate. adapt and move on!

Justin

robert.manna
2006-09-09, 01:46 AM
I think you've hit it on the head, sometime we just need to do it the "Revit way" and move, with the hope that they will come up with something that is perhaps even better, or maybe more like what we've done in the past. They know their scheduling needs re-vamping, and I've heard rumors since v6/7 that they were working on that, but obviously we haven't seen any solid results yet... At least if you code it in Revit, it should be fairly easy to create a legend that explains the code, and easily change it all, without tearing your hair out... The "ADT" way was easier because it better suited ADT, and as you said, you changed to match what ADT could do. Here's to the next round!

-R

dbaldacchino
2006-09-09, 02:20 AM
I read about a possible way of doing this by using symbols as your parameter input. If I remember correctly, Steve Stafford had a post on his blog about this a while back. You might want to check it out. I still don't see any advatages to do that. Why not create a material schedule with meaningful abbreviations? P1, P2 etc for paint, PL1 etc for plastic laminate, CPT for carpet and so on. I wouldn't let "the way I used to do it" get in my way.

david.metcalf
2006-09-10, 05:34 PM
Will a Key Schedule witha Y/N parameter be the way to do this?

robert.manna
2006-09-10, 11:52 PM
Will a Key Schedule witha Y/N parameter be the way to do this?
I'm not sure if you could use a key schedule or not. Possibly you could, the nice thing about key schedules & rooms is that if you have a bunch of rooms that are the same (class rooms for instance) you can use a key schedule to assign the same properties to all classrooms, all offices, all exam rooms, etc..... So, theoretically if you assign additional shared parameters to rooms, then you should be able to schedule them in a room key schedule. Go ahead and give it a try and let us know. :)!

-R

truevis
2006-09-10, 11:59 PM
You can put a "●" in text parameters. Paste in from Character Map.

Now, is there a good way to get the headings in a schedule to read vertically? My bad idea is to make a font with all the letters rotated 90° and make the columns skinny.

robert.manna
2006-09-11, 02:29 AM
Yes, you can rotate headings with the formatting properties of a schedule. I agree that you could use a special character instead of yes/no parameters. However the yes/no parameters would give a level of intelligence to the rooms versus simple text parameters. In fact you could just add the text parameters to the schedule only, and go through it the same way you would in excel.

-R

Justin Marchiel
2006-09-11, 03:35 PM
ok this sounds good but how do i add the symbol parameter to the schedule key? this is new to me and i would like if someone with experience gave me a good direction to start with.

Thanks

Justin

dbaldacchino
2006-09-11, 05:20 PM
There's no symbol parameter. It's just text...go to your character map for the font you're using and you'll see the available symbols. Cut from there and paste in your text parameter.

Steve_Stafford
2006-09-11, 05:29 PM
I wrote two articles that discuss this, Are you a special Character? (http://revitoped.blogspot.com/2005/09/are-you-special-character.html) and Matrix Schedules (http://revitoped.blogspot.com/2005_11_01_revitoped_archive.html). Blogger won't let me link directly to the article so the Matrix Schedule link is for the November 2005 archive, scroll to the second to last post.

Justin Marchiel
2006-09-11, 06:32 PM
That looks like the right direction! I will post my result back here when i get er done.

Thanks

Justin

on second thought this is what i wanted but what will happen is that i need a parameter for each finish on each wall. this would mean possibly 100 paramets that i would need to scroll thru and put the dot into.

Thanks for the idea, but i will need to rethink how i do my finish schedules. i think that i am back to a key with interior elevations for multiple finishes. this seems to be the easiest.

Thanks

Justin

truevis
2006-09-12, 02:26 AM
Yes, you can rotate headings with the formatting properties of a schedule...
Perhaps I'm blind. How does one do that?

robert.manna
2006-09-12, 02:38 AM
In the properties of a schedule. Goto the Formatting Tab, there is a drop down on the right "Heading Orientation". You can choose horizontal or vertical.

HTH,
-R

dgraue
2007-03-05, 11:04 PM
Am I correct that Text Heading in the Vertical format will not wrap as it does in the horizontal format?

ford347
2007-03-06, 03:33 PM
Here is a finish schedule with north, east etc. referenced for rooms. This uses a schedule key for room finish styles for faster entry. I took it one step further and just created a simple material key that I could place on a sheet to define what the abbrev. meant, but you can't reference them directly from your room style schedule key. I wish you could reference key schedule's in key schedule's, this would be nice and practical in my opinion, but you can't, so you just have to learn your own mat'l abbrev's and type them in your style schedule. Not sure if this can be improved much as I haven't really tried, it has worked for me so far. As far as multiple finishes on one wall, I would probably just key something in the schedule that would let you know you had to refer back to an interior elevation, I would see that as the easiest way to take care of complex finishes as mentioned previously. I believe I got this schedule and modified it from someone here in AUGI.

Josh