PDA

View Full Version : Plan Region Question

tonyisenhoff
2006-09-08, 09:10 PM
I have a floor plan.. When I add a plan region to alter the cut plan, one of my windows changes it's display (even if the plan region does cut or touch it).

Plan Region 1.png is with the plan region pulled away far enough so the window shows correct.
Plan Region 2.png is with the plan region moved closer to the wall, but still not touching. Notice the difference in the window's display.

Any suggestions why this is happening?

robert.manna
2006-09-08, 09:30 PM
My first guess is to open the family and see if there are any errant peices of hidden geometry or ref planes that might get inersected by the plan region. We had a similiar problem with our doors, where there was a ref plan below the ref level, and it caused some weirdness.

HTH,
-R

dsw98
2006-09-08, 09:43 PM
I've had the same problem before, I could never figure out why it does this. It does it with Revit's windows and with window's I've created. I just figured it was a wierd bug.

tonyisenhoff
2006-09-12, 03:53 PM
I found it...

It's the window flip arrow !!

I guess either flip the window if that's appropriate so the flip arrow is on the other side, or edit the family and move the flip arrow in tighter to the geometry or within the window geometry. The downside of editing the family and moving the flip arrow is that it's nice to be able to identify the "exterior" of the window by the location of the flip arrows.

robert.manna
2006-09-12, 03:58 PM
Good hunting!

Change all your windows so the the flip arrow is on the exterior?

All of our custom doors open opposite the default Revit doors. Steve Stafford pointed it out to me at one point. My feeling is, oh well, this way I'll know when we don't have a Burt Hill door in a project. :) Besides the fact that a non-Burt Hill door won't schedule correctly anyways... No one has had a problem yet..... Still waiting. :)
-R

ricardo.o.maciel
2007-09-13, 01:55 PM
Thanks, Tony, for your incredible finding!
The flip arrows stuff saved my life (or at least time and trouble...):mrgreen:
Ricardo

abasgall
2009-01-29, 04:20 PM
I'm having this issue with plan regions, only it is affecting the visibility of my cavity walls. Randomly, the walls that intersect the plan region lose all their detail information, showing only the two outer face lines - for the entire wall, not just the area inside the plan region. This is a continuous wall that would have no reason to show differently. Any ideas? No flip arrows for me to fix this problem...??

robert.manna
2009-01-29, 04:42 PM
Your problem is likely related to the plan region. Try adjusting the plan region in some way (more then you anticpate). Plan regions can result in very strange behavior in complex conditions, or when they cross certain objects partially but not fully. Various examples include windows, stairs, families hosted to walls, etc. The problem is probably not the walls themselves, more likely some other families that the plan region is somehow interacting with. Don't forget to consider the plan region and the view to be 3D element in terms that they have height and depth, these settings can also result in interaction that causes graphic problems.

edit: Yeah, your problem looks exactly like one I had where it was due to many window and other objects hosted to the wall, basically aligned next to each other, result weird interactions. Never really solved the issue, just didn't show the high windows in the plan.

HTH,
-R

pwilson.112560
2009-02-25, 12:42 AM
Thanks for the find, Tony - two and a half years later and still helpful!

Scott Womack
2009-02-25, 11:21 AM
I've had the same problem before, I could never figure out why it does this. It does it with Revit's windows and with window's I've created. I just figured it was a wierd bug.

The other issue is with the Reference planes that define the insertion point of the family. If you leave them extending too long pace the family in all three dimensions, the family, or pieces of the family, may appear in views where you do not want it to.

clog boy
2009-02-25, 12:22 PM
I found it...

It's the window flip arrow !!

I guess either flip the window if that's appropriate so the flip arrow is on the other side, or edit the family and move the flip arrow in tighter to the geometry or within the window geometry. The downside of editing the family and moving the flip arrow is that it's nice to be able to identify the "exterior" of the window by the location of the flip arrows.

I've had this issue once too. It's stuff like this that makes you realise one or two things.

I also found that window families show their 'floor plan' view from within the family, no matter where you cut it in your project. So if a window is above view height and you want to show it in your floor plan, just edit family and draw an invisible model line from the top of the family to reference level. This is practical usage of otherwise 'wrong' model behavior, but it works in every component so you could do largely without plan regions.