PDA

View Full Version : Can't edit a column

tonyisenhoff
2004-06-14, 08:30 PM
I received a project and can't seem to edit some specific columns. When I select the column and select edit from thte options bar, all seems well, but then everything gray's out and the column disappears...

I thought it may have been a in-place family using an extrude, but then you should be able to pick the extrude after the fact and I can't...

I've attached some images as well.

Any thoughts.

Dimitri Harvalias
2004-06-14, 09:34 PM
It probably is an in place family (of the extrusion variety) and the reason you can't see it is because of the plane in which the extrusion was defined.
Try selecting the column and opening a 3D view in wireframe. You should be able to see it hightlighted. From there you can determine where/how it was created and you should be able to edit in the appropriate view.
HTH

tonyisenhoff
2004-06-14, 09:38 PM
Nope...

It's the small column in the middle.

Tony

Dimitri Harvalias
2004-06-14, 09:48 PM
OK Tony, are you messing with me?:wink:

When I open the file I zoom in to the column, select it and hit edit. It does disappaear, but if you zoom all the way out it appears waaaay outside of the location it's placed. Very strange indeed.
I'm going to work on this a bit.

tonyisenhoff
2004-06-14, 09:50 PM
OK Tony, are you messing with me?:wink:

When I open the file I zoom in to the column, select it and hit edit. It does disappaear, but if you zoom all the way out it appears waaaay outside of the location it's placed. Very strange indeed.
I'm going to work on this a bit.

I did not know this!

As I said earlier, I received this project and did not create... I'm trying to figure out as well :)

Dimitri Harvalias
2004-06-14, 09:55 PM
AHA!

Not sure how the column was created but when you check the properties it is set to 'move with nearby objects.' When you uncheck that field and edit it will stay where it is actually defined (if that makes sense). You can then relocate it to its proper position and then reset the 'move' option if desired and it will be editable in situ.
My guess is it was created in another location in the project and somehow was copied to this location with 'move with nearby objects' set.

tonyisenhoff
2004-06-14, 09:56 PM
AHA!

Not sure how the column was created but when you check the properties it is set to 'move with nearby objects.' When you uncheck that field and edit it will stay where it is actually defined (if that makes sense). You can then relocate it to its proper position and then reset the 'move' option if desired and it will be editable in situ.
My guess is it was created in another location in the project and somehow was copied to this location with 'move with nearby objects' set.

Very Sweet!

Nice investigating!!

Tony

beegee
2004-06-14, 09:57 PM
Select the column in a 3D view. Go to the plan view and select "Edit", see the column location is now shown out to the left of the other elements. That was probably the original creation point. Drag it to where you need it and it will stay there for further editing.