PDA

View Full Version : Arched opening w/ a arch stone soldier course

Don Sutherland
2006-09-11, 07:16 PM
I'm trying to do a arched wall opening with a arched soldier course over. I would like to have the each stone course perpendicular to the arch. I will have a standard stone over a around the arched stone soldier coarse. How would I do this? Can I do a arch profile or solid form over the opening?

robert.manna
2006-09-11, 07:31 PM
I'm very interested to see if anyone has a decent solution. I've had the same problem, and just lived with it not looking quite right. I created the arched geometry family without a problem, it was just the pattern & rendering material were the issue(s).

Thanks,
-R

sbrown
2006-09-11, 08:23 PM
I use a generic model -brick family and I polar array it over top of the opening. You can get complicated and set up parameters so it adds bricks as the width changes. Do a search, I think someone may have figured out how to do a line based version of this.

robert.manna
2006-09-11, 08:26 PM
I use a generic model -brick family and I polar array it over top of the opening. You can get complicated and set up parameters so it adds bricks as the width changes. Do a search, I think someone may have figured out how to do a line based version of this.So you're literally arraying a brick shape in the family? Do you take into account the angular change given the brick being perpednicular to the curve at a specific point? Is the family slow? do you think you take a performance hit for what is a fairly complex family? Also, with a polar array you can't adjust the radius if the array is in the family correct? Line based is an interesting idea.... You could do the math to change the brick shape to match if you could change the radius of the arch. Any screen shots?....

-R

sbrown
2006-09-11, 08:52 PM
I actually create the brick and the mortar joint and the brick sticks out slightly from the mortar joint, so that when they overlap you see a trapezoid mortar shape, the brick is always rectangular, just like the real world. I haven't done this is many years. I'm guessing the line family is the way to go now. But yes a polar array's radius is changeable. However you need to add in 1/2 the brick size as the dim goes to the center of the array and I don't know how to change that.

Don Sutherland
2006-09-11, 10:07 PM
Sbrown, Thanks for your help, but:
I played around with the line base modeling and polar array.
Not working out very well.I having a hard time getting the objects to make a radius at the arch. Is there a way to do a radius placement of the detail component?
Do you have a example of this?

davidcobi
2006-09-11, 10:40 PM
http://forums.augi.com/showthread.php?t=40606&highlight=brick+arch

There is a 3d arch here. You might be able to swap out the 3d brick for a detail component. I couldn't associate a parameter to the the angle of the array but you can adjust the angle manually to what you need.