PDA

View Full Version : Reducing project size

tonyisenhoff
2004-06-14, 08:32 PM
If I have an issue and I want to post a project here, I can't seem to reduce the file size.

For example, I wanted to keep just a small area of a project so I erased all the non-important parts, purged the project.

Before: 6.721mb
After: 7.376 mb

Now that doesn't make any sense!!

Steve_Stafford
2004-06-14, 08:43 PM
You can also try renaming the project to a completely different name. That sometimes reduces file size too.

tonyisenhoff
2004-06-14, 08:54 PM
You can also try renaming the project to a completely different name. That sometimes reduces file size too.

HOLY GUACAMOLE !!

I deleted a couple leftover 3d views and did a saveas...

The file size went from 7 mb to 514K

I had tried earlier to saveas to the same name, but didn't get the same results - a different name was the trick.

tanks a ton

Mr Spot
2004-06-14, 10:26 PM
This is an issue with windows where it reports an incorrect file size. You can just copy the file to a different location and should update. :grin:

Paul P.
2004-07-05, 01:16 PM
I've got a file that's 15.4 MB and it's only a 3 storey detached house, I've tried the thing's mentioned above but that doesn’t help. I’ve compared it to a job that’s much larger but it has a smaller file size.

What contributes to making a file large and is there anything else I can do to reduce it.

Regard's, Paul.

Wes Macaulay
2004-07-05, 08:29 PM
So Paul, did you try doing a save-as with a new filename?

Paul P.
2004-07-06, 07:27 AM
Wes, already tried that and it doesn’t make a differance. Any more ideas.

Regard’s, Paul.

beegee
2004-07-06, 07:39 AM
These things effect project size and hit performance :-

1. Number of constraints
2. Number of 3d objects.
3. Compound walls and Hosted Sweeps.

Size of project shouldn't matter that much.

Use worksets and visibility settings to control this where possible.

Wes Macaulay
2004-07-06, 03:05 PM
Well, you may have some families in there that you don't need; sometimes the course of action is then...

1. purge
2. save as under a different filename

When purging hit Check None and then go after some of the more complicated families you're not using. Purge results are best when you can purge whole families rather than just a few types of that family (you want to be deleting the whole family definition from the file). Purging non-family items like unused dimstyles and text styles doesn't save you much.

Paul P.
2004-07-06, 03:29 PM
Wes, thanks for the reply, I'll give that a go. Does the use of groups have any affect.

Regard's, Paul.