PDA

View Full Version : Stepped Walls w/ Stepped Footings

BomberAIA
2006-09-12, 12:22 PM
How has everyone been doing the stepped walls when the grade slopes on a side of a bld'g? I practice in Florida where it is flat and I have a Multifamily project In Tallahassee with topo. I just want to see if someone could give me a better way of doing it. Thanks for the help.

ford347
2006-09-12, 01:46 PM
Using a wall and a continuous footing is probably the way to go. When I've had to do this, I'll usually draw the wall at the highest point in my topo I need it, go to a 3d view and start splitting the wall by 'eye' where I would put my steps to accomodate the topo, then go to an elevation or a similar view to drag my wall bottoms to some more defined heights, or use ref planes etc. Kind of a pain, but represents what you would need it to do in the field on steep grades anyway. Tell you the truth, I really don't like anything below the dirt, in construction docs or when we build them......never have. So if you find a better way of doing it...please share!:)

Josh

BomberAIA
2006-09-12, 02:02 PM
That's the way I'm doing it now. Thanks

sbrown
2006-09-12, 02:13 PM
If you create a foundation wall, then edit its elevation profile to step with the grade, then you can attach the bottom of your frame wall to it and it will automatically follow the stepped foundation wall. Then just apply a sweep to the botoom of the foundation wall for the footing.

BomberAIA
2006-09-12, 02:32 PM
Thanks Scott.

davidcobi
2006-09-12, 03:15 PM
We just use Basic Walls. The footing tool doesn't cleanup right a lot of the time.

To get the correct linework in plan view we use filters:
http://revitbeginners.blogspot.com/2006/07/stepped-foundation-plans.html

Steve_Stafford
2006-09-12, 05:14 PM
For many situations floors work very nicely for footings too. You can also attach the base of your walls to them. The only thing they don't do well is represent the sloping condition at the bottom of stepped footings. Walls do a better job or an extruded in-place floor perhaps.

Using view overrides it is pretty easy to force a view to show the projection edges of such floors as dashed. Do it in a special view and overlay on a sheet and you don't have to revisit much at all.

Then there is always the linework tool.