PDA

View Full Version : View Bug, Version 8.1-9.1

neb1998
2006-09-12, 04:32 PM
This glitch has existed at least since 8.1 and still exists in 9.1
Does anyone know a workaround to get rid of these exagerated "crop windows"

Even after deleting every view on a project and creating a new view the same condition exists. This makes working with detail sheets nearly frustrating enough to not want to work on the project in revit at all. Not to mention adding new details to sheets.

Scott D Davis
2006-09-12, 04:49 PM
You have something in the view floating in space, such as a plan region.

neb1998
2006-09-12, 04:52 PM
There are no plan regions, no autocad files, etc in this drawing.

Scott D Davis
2006-09-12, 04:55 PM
can you post the file? Or email it to me?

hand471037
2006-09-12, 05:00 PM
these details from AutoCAD imported into Drafting Views and then placed on a sheet?

neb1998
2006-09-12, 05:03 PM
these details from AutoCAD imported into Drafting Views and then placed on a sheet?
Nope, just all revit drawings.

Steve_Stafford
2006-09-12, 05:07 PM
It is possible that a component has a lost element in it that is far away from the rest of the object. A similar post yesterday discovered that a detail component had its flip control offset from the rest of the object and it affected the overall "size" of it.

neb1998
2006-09-12, 05:13 PM
It is possible that a component has a lost element in it that is far away from the rest of the object. A similar post yesterday discovered that a detail component had its flip control offset from the rest of the object and it affected the overall "size" of it.
Steve you mean a nested family? I have thought about components causing this problem in the past and have deleted all elements, building, families, etc from the area that seems to extend from the detail itself and it still does not resolve the problem...

I have found that sinks sometime appear in the model in strange places (not attached to walls, as wall based families)

Steve_Stafford
2006-09-12, 05:17 PM
Not just nested. Sometimes folks use the mirror command and don't notice that they accidentally mirrored it well out of view, think that Revit didn't do it and do it over leaving the object off in "space". This component will affect the extents of a view if the view is zoomed in enough on it that there are no other objects beyond the crop region except for this rogue element. Similar to a dwg with a rogue line 1000 ft from the origin and the rest of the linework.

If your file contains "nothing" your view title could be the culprit?

neb1998
2006-09-12, 05:21 PM
Not just nested. Sometimes folks use the mirror command and don't notice that they accidentally mirrored it well out of view, think that Revit didn't do it and do it over leaving the object off in "space". This component will affect the extents of a view if the view is zoomed in enough on it that there are no other objects beyond the crop region except for this rogue element. Similar to a dwg with a rogue line 1000 ft from the origin and the rest of the linework.

If your file contains "nothing" your view title could be the culprit?
If its there, its not visible or selectable with a window.

robert.manna
2006-09-12, 05:36 PM
Any curtain wall? We've had some strange behavior with curtain wall, especially when the grid gets down to less than 1" spacing. Usually when using doors or other custom panels. Also, it could be something in family that isn't selectable when in a project. Reference planes come to mind, they have caused us a trouble in the past when we had some errant reference planes in hardware families, that were nested into doors. (Not saying this is your specific case) but it could be something very similiar. The post Steve reffered to with the flip arrow, as far as I know you can't select a family with a flip arrow, even though they at least appear graphically. There can be lots of "hidden" things that won't be picked up by a selection set of one kind or another.

HTH
-R

archjake
2006-09-12, 05:39 PM
Any curtain wall? We've had some strange behavior with curtain wall, especially when the grid gets down to less than 1" spacing. Usually when using doors or other custom panels. Also, it could be something in family that isn't selectable when in a project. Reference planes come to mind, they have caused us a trouble in the past when we had some errant reference planes in hardware families, that were nested into doors. (Not saying this is your specific case) but it could be something very similiar. The post Steve reffered to with the flip arrow, as far as know you can't select a family with a flip arrow, even though they at least appear graphically. There can be lots of "hidden" things that won't be picked up by a selection set of one kind or another.

HTH
-R
I too have seen this behaver with curtain walls. Something to do with their grid lines... I haven't quite figured it out. Try turning them off in the view and see what happens.

neb1998
2006-09-12, 05:41 PM
Any curtain wall? We've had some strange behavior with curtain wall, especially when the grid gets down to less than 1" spacing. Usually when using doors or other custom panels. Also, it could be something in family that isn't selectable when in a project. Reference planes come to mind, they have caused us a trouble in the past when we had some errant reference planes in hardware families, that were nested into doors. (Not saying this is your specific case) but it could be something very similiar. The post Steve reffered to with the flip arrow, as far as know you can't select a family with a flip arrow, even though they at least appear graphically. There can be lots of "hidden" things that won't be picked up by a selection set of one kind or another.

HTH
-RIf i turn off curtain wall no dice,

robert.manna
2006-09-12, 05:45 PM
I too have seen this behaver with curtain walls. Something to do with their grid lines... I haven't quite figured it out. Try turning them off in the view and see what happens.
In our case, it was quite specifically curtain wall door families. The curtain wall had a door in it, then grid lines got added, without realizing it there was a grid line that was under an 1" away from an edge, so the panel was tiny! Because with the splitting, and door being there already, the tiny panel was trying to be a door, needless to say even with a parameteric door the geometry couldn't squeeze into anything quite that small, so for whatever reason, the door that was the tiny panel was showing up in far right field (more correctly sized), even though the curtain wall was in the right place. Had to have my contact at A-Desk find that problem... then I was banging my head. :)!

-R

neb1998
2006-09-12, 05:47 PM
In our case, it was quite specifically curtain wall door families. The curtain wall had a door in it, then grid lines got added, without realizing it there was a grid line that was under an 1" away from an edge, so the panel was tiny! Because with the splitting, and door being there already, the tiny panel was trying to be a door, needless to say even with a parameteric door the geometry couldn't squeeze into anything quite that small, so for whatever reason, the door that was the tiny panel was showing up in far right field (more correctly sized), even though the curtain wall was in the right place. Had to have my contact at A-Desk find that problem... then I was banging my head. :)!

-R
yeah it appears to be a model category thats causing the problem, by turning annotation all on and model all off, the view resets to the correct size.

luigi
2006-09-12, 05:47 PM
You know...you are an experienced user, so anything that people will tell you is something you either considered or tried...but I can't help to ask you to extend the crop region of that detail so far, to go past the area that the view extends to and see if there is anything there...

Also, would you save that particular view and either send me, or Scott, or post here for someone to look at it? There could be tons of things causing it....

Take care,

There are no plan regions, no autocad files, etc in this drawing.

neb1998
2006-09-12, 05:53 PM
You know...you are an experienced user, so anything that people will tell you is something you either considered or tried...but I can't help to ask you to extend the crop region of that detail so far, to go past the area that the view extends to and see if there is anything there...

Also, would you save that particular view and either send me, or Scott, or post here for someone to look at it? There could be tons of things causing it....

Take care,
Scott has the file as we speak, i have extended the region...completly deleted all curtain walls from the project and it still exists. I have spent a lot of time with this myself on this and other jobs...as well as talked to adesk about it and no solution.

Hopefully scott will have more luck than those so far.

Scott D Davis
2006-09-12, 06:33 PM
I got it! floating in space above the building was an HVAC unit that was brought in from Revit Systems. I slected all instances from the browser, deleted it, and all views went back to normal. In the Unit family, nothing looks suspect except for a floating dimension in a 3D view. This HVAC familiy comes with Rsys.

Ben, please file this with support!

DanielleAnderson
2006-09-12, 06:38 PM
I got it! floating in space above the building was an HVAC unit that was brought in from Revit Systems. I slected all instances from the browser, deleted it, and all views went back to normal. In the Unit family, nothing looks suspect except for a floating dimension in a 3D view. This HVAC familiy comes with Rsys.

Scott - maybe your sig needs a quote by Obi Wan for a while...something about Jedi masters... 8)

luigi
2006-09-12, 06:46 PM
Since I have to spread reputation points before giving them to you again, let me praise you here for your time and diligence in helping out!!!!

david.kingham
2006-09-12, 08:29 PM
I'm running into the same problem, I also have RTU's from systems but I tried removing the link and the problem still remains...here's where it gets strange...if i shut off Annotation alltogether in the view everything is fine, but if I shut off everything individually under annotation (everything expanded, show all disciplines selected) then the problem persists....i would post the file but its over 100mb

neb1998
2006-09-12, 08:46 PM
I'm running into the same problem, I also have RTU's from systems but I tried removing the link and the problem still remains...here's where it gets strange...if i shut off Annotation alltogether in the view everything is fine, but if I shut off everything individually under annotation (everything expanded, show all disciplines selected) then the problem persists....i would post the file but its over 100mb
Yeah i had this on other projects with systems involved, i deleted all Air handlers and the problem is gone. Try deleting all mechanical equipment, i know this is not optimal since your going to lose your mechanical systems for supply, return, and exhast...but it may fix the problem and then you can undelete and repair the broken revit system families.

I am going to work on this next, since i use systems a lot i really need to be able to use the equipment.

Steve_Stafford
2006-09-12, 10:13 PM
Take a look at the family in Rsys. Maybe the origin was changed in the family inadvertently. To check where the orgin is you may need to import a dwg that has a tick mark at 0,0,0. See if it comes in on the crossing point of the reference planes. Which family is it specifically?

robert.manna
2006-09-12, 11:51 PM
If it is a systems family that has the connections neccessary to integrate with systems, then the origin should be very specifically located related to the family geometry. The connections are very specific about their relationships to the origin from what I've been reading and learning about creating systems families. If the origin is way off in no mans land (which I would be suprised to learn) then there should be a good reason.

-R

Scott D Davis
2006-09-12, 11:57 PM
The only thing I can find in the AHU family, is the dimension show below in 3D, that floats in space. This dimension changes how far it floats in space depending on the scale of the view the family is used in.

robert.manna
2006-09-13, 12:13 AM
I didn't see the family posted in the thread anywhere, can you post it? I've got systems so I can look at it too. Is the dimension string tied to a ref line? From what I've seen they like to use ref lines in systems families for controlling the connections.

-R

Scott D Davis
2006-09-13, 01:34 AM
It's a standard Systems Family. Mechanical Equipment>Rooftop AC Unit 3 - 12.5 Ton - Bottom Coonection>5 Ton

Melarch
2006-09-13, 12:06 PM
9.1 seems to be riddled with anomelies/abberations. I observed that the Revisions schedule tool is not available with the titleblock family, were it had been available in 9.0.

robert.manna
2006-09-13, 12:51 PM
9.1 seems to be riddled with anomelies/abberations. I observed that the Revisions schedule tool is not available with the titleblock family, were it had been available in 9.0.
Except that the systems family isn't from Building 9.1, though of course it could be something in 9.1 not correctly interactin with systems 1.0

An engineer here in our firm tried to re-create the problem this morning after I pointed her to this thread. No luck... We'll continue our own investigations, though we were recently patched by Autodesk on the systems end of things....

We'll see what happens.

-R

Scott D Davis
2006-09-13, 03:22 PM
An engineer here in our firm tried to re-create the problem this morning after I pointed her to this thread. No luck...
to add to the "debugging" of this piece, I need to mention that the callout where this Mech RFA was causing problems had a view depth of 5'-0", which I had to increase to 10'-0" to see the actual geometry.

neb1998
2006-09-13, 06:33 PM
Except that the systems family isn't from Building 9.1, though of course it could be something in 9.1 not correctly interactin with systems 1.0

An engineer here in our firm tried to re-create the problem this morning after I pointed her to this thread. No luck... We'll continue our own investigations, though we were recently patched by Autodesk on the systems end of things....

We'll see what happens.

-R
After scott having fixed the problem i am not entirely sure that family is completly to blame, as i have the problem on another project that uses a different family. I am wondering if its only happening with models updated from my old revit systems beta testing efforts. The program has changed somewhat since beta II and even though the family name is the same, perhaps its not upgrading correctly into the new revit systems ver 1.

I will be working with systems a lot more in the coming weeks and will hopefully pinpoint anymore families that cause problems.

Wes Macaulay
2006-09-13, 10:33 PM
9.1 seems to be riddled with anomelies/abberations. I observed that the Revisions schedule tool is not available with the titleblock family, were it had been available in 9.0.This is a bug. I'll file this with Revit support...

neb1998
2006-09-13, 10:36 PM
This is a bug. I'll file this with Revit support...
Wes, i already have. They have aknowledged it. But havent found an absolute fix.

They have known about it since when i found it back in revit systems beta......(not saying i was the first to find it, but i told them then)

Wes Macaulay
2006-09-13, 10:52 PM
And when I saw Steve's post in the Known Issues forum, I knew I shouldn't have bothered :mrgreen:

Odd and irritating bug isn't it, when everything else regarding 9.1 seemed to indicate a complete green light in regards to upgrading...