PDA

View Full Version : Can I build a void into a fascia profile?

patagoniadave
2006-09-12, 04:37 PM
Hopefully this isn't to ignorant of a question. I'm playing around with ways to get my residential roof fascia to look right in elevation and in section (the sheathing overhanging the fascia/gutter). I read some other posts about either having the roof extension built into the profile, or having a second roof on top of the other roof to do the overhang. I'm also wondering if I can't just add the thickness of the fascia to the roof overhang, adjust the fascia back and down in it's properties, and join geometry. Initially it seems to work fine (I haven't tried the gable end connection yet), but on my built out fascia (1X4 over 1X8) the portion of the roof edge below the 1X4 is still there. So my question is, can I build a void, or invisible chunk into my facia profile so that this doesn't happen? I'm not seeing anything obvious, but I have done very little work in the family editor, so I may be missing something. Hope this question made sense, I don't have a screen shot handy. Thanks for any advice.

luigi
2006-09-12, 04:50 PM
Hopefully this isn't to ignorant of a question. I'm playing around with ways to get my residential roof fascia to look right in elevation and in section (the sheathing overhanging the fascia/gutter). I read some other posts about either having the roof extension built into the profile, or having a second roof on top of the other roof to do the overhang. I'm also wondering if I can't just add the thickness of the fascia to the roof overhang, adjust the fascia back and down in it's properties, and join geometry. Initially it seems to work fine (I haven't tried the gable end connection yet), but on my built out fascia (1X4 over 1X8) the portion of the roof edge below the 1X4 is still there. So my question is, can I build a void, or invisible chunk into my facia profile so that this doesn't happen? I'm not seeing anything obvious, but I have done very little work in the family editor, so I may be missing something. Hope this question made sense, I don't have a screen shot handy. Thanks for any advice.I don't have a clear idea of the situation you are in, so there may be something better to do...but to answer your question, if you build an "inplace component void" it will cut the fascia...

patagoniadave
2006-09-12, 05:24 PM
I don't have a clear idea of the situation you are in, so there may be something better to do...but to answer your question, if you build an "inplace component void" it will cut the fascia...

I'm trying to build that void into the definition of the fascia, so it will fully cut the roof edge (rafter tails), even if the fascia is not square.

aaronrumple
2006-09-12, 05:30 PM
...sound like you need to set the roof to either Two Cut Plumb or Two Cut Square and adjust the fascia depth.

patagoniadave
2006-09-12, 05:57 PM
...sound like you need to set the roof to either Two Cut Plumb or Two Cut Square and adjust the fascia depth.

I have the plumbs all set up, what I am trying to simulate is the ability to unlock the different layers of a wall so I can pull the siding down or up to cover....whatever. As far as I can tell, you can't do that with roofs? I'd like to be able to pull the top layer of a sloped wood framed roof down over the edge of the fascia to simulate real life and make my details look correct. I read a couple of posts on this (I think at least one was yours), and there was at least two work arounds. One was the second skinny roof on top of the main roof that you could push down, and the other was the roof edge extension being part of the fascia profile. I'm playing around with a third option where I move the fascia profile down the thickness of the sheathing, and in the thickness of the fascia, and use the fascia to cut a chunk out of the roof edge (using join geometry) that just leaves the sheathing hanging over. This works great, until I use a non rectangular fascia profile, and then the roof edge bleeds through. So if I could somehow build a rectangular void into my profile, or a non visible chunk in the profile, it would cut all my rafter tails automatically for me. I'm going to go to my computer and make a screenshot.

patagoniadave
2006-09-12, 08:59 PM
Hopefully this attachment works.

Thanks all.