PDA

View Full Version : FOUNDATION REPRESENTATION

masonjur
2006-09-12, 06:02 PM
I created a foundation using the foundation tool. When I go to any of my elevations, the foundation views as solid lines with the surface pattern showing. Is there a way to make the foundation view as DASH lines without the surface pattern showing? I looked under the VISUAL GRAPHICS but could not find anything there.

luigi
2006-09-12, 06:14 PM
I created a foundation using the foundation tool. When I go to any of my elevations, the foundation views as solid lines with the surface pattern showing. Is there a way to make the foundation view as DASH lines without the surface pattern showing? I looked under the VISUAL GRAPHICS but could not find anything there.For the dashed lines, just go in your elevation view type "vg" find Structural Foundations and override the line stiles to be dashed ("projection" if it is an elevation of the foundation, or "cut "if it is a cut through the foundation; the thing to change is "Line Pattern")

If you are cutting the foundation (the filled pattern is the "cut" filled pattern, and not the "surface" pattern, then you can override all "cut patterns" in the View Visibility of that elevation to be all white solid fill(chances are that since it is an elevation that you shouldn't have any cuts into geometry)....if it is the surface, and you don't want to turn off the surface filled pattern because you have other surface patterns, well... what reprocussions will you have to remove the pattern from the material?

masonjur
2006-09-12, 06:18 PM
I tried changing all of the line styles however, it only changed the top line of the foundation to dash. Am I missing something?

sleimgruber06
2006-09-12, 06:25 PM
I created a foundation using the foundation tool. When I go to any of my elevations, the foundation views as solid lines with the surface pattern showing. Is there a way to make the foundation view as DASH lines without the surface pattern showing? I looked under the VISUAL GRAPHICS but could not find anything there.

1) Select the foundation and go to its 'Properties'. In the top right go to 'Edit New'. In Edit New under materials, left click on the material shown. A dialog box will pop up with a list. On the right hand side you should see a text box that says surface pattern. Click the black arrow on the right side of the text box and another dialog box will pop up. At the bottom left there is a button that says "No Pattern"; select that button and hit apply & ok until you're back into the model.

2) As for the lines, go to the Linework tool *see attached*, and select the appropriate linework in the drop down text box. Your cursor should turn into a little pen. Select the appropriate lines you wish to change.

Any questions?

Hope this helps,

luigi
2006-09-12, 06:33 PM
I tried changing all of the line styles however, it only changed the top line of the foundation to dash. Am I missing something?It works, but if there is another object that is visible (i.e. wall) then the line will cover up the foundation....

Try highlighting the foundation in your elevation...don't you see that the whole foundation is dashed? i tested it and it works like expected, but in my scenario, that bottom of the wall which is aligned with the top of tthe footing shows solid....in that case, I can make the line of the bottom of the wall invisible witht the pen tool...

Also, if you have to click on all the foundation walls drawing the dases, I would suggest not using the pen tool, because I have found out that in the long run, when modifying the foundation, the dashes may disappear....in the past what I have done was to pick the foundation lines (keep hitting tab to select the whole foundation ) and lock the detail lines to it....but if there is a wall overlapping the foundation line (or another object) then you still have to hide the line....

Does any of this help?