PDA

View Full Version : Wireless router for speed

bebrett
2006-09-13, 01:59 PM
Has anyone had any experience with a wireless router for High Speed ?

Currently my home desktop is hooked up near the cable connection coming to the house and I'd like to move the PC to another room but I'd rather not re-route the cable. Also, I use a mobile workstation for work and it would be nice to be abe to use it (along with my home PC) anywhere in the house.

Anyway, any thoughts or experience would be helpful on whatI should get without overkill.....

Thanks !!

Railrose
2006-09-13, 02:03 PM
Has anyone had any experience with a wireless router for High Speed ?

Currently my home desktop is hooked up near the cable connection coming to the house and I'd like to move the PC to another room but I'd rather not re-route the cable. Also, I use a mobile workstation for work and it would be nice to be abe to use it (along with my home PC) anywhere in the house.

Anyway, any thoughts or experience would be helpful on whatI should get without overkill.....

Thanks !!
I have a Mocrosoft router added to my Cable internet service. Love it. Just make sure you follow the instructions to the letter when installing. I have mine set up for laptop use. I can use my laptop anywhere in the house. It also works as an extra firewall. I used to turn all the equipment off when going out of town incase of power surge, or thunder storm. I quit doing that when e-mail started going out in my "name" when I didn't have a computer online. To make sure I know when that happens, I keep a "dud" e-mail address in my address book so junk like that gets bounced back.

Sammie
2006-09-13, 02:05 PM
Hi Brett,

Please note I have *moved* this thread from the Coffee (http://%3cweb%20address%20here%3e/) Without Cad forum to this one, as I feel this particular forum is a more appropriate place for such a topic.

Thanks,

Samantha Hally

CWC Forum Moderator

bebrett
2006-09-13, 02:05 PM
I have a Mocrosoft router added to my Cable internet service. Love it. Just make sure you follow the instructions to the letter when installing. I have mine set up for laptop use. I can use my laptop anywhere in the house.

I'm sure that some have the ability to have more than one PC hooked up though correct ?

bebrett
2006-09-13, 02:06 PM
Hi Brett,

Please note I have *moved* this thread from the Coffee (http://%3cweb%20address%20here%3e/) Without Cad forum to this one, as I feel this particular forum is a more appropriate place for such a topic.

Thanks,

Samantha Hally

CWC Forum Moderator

Thanks....sorry.

Railrose
2006-09-13, 02:09 PM
I'm sure that some have the ability to have more than one PC hooked up though correct ?
I also let my neighbor (college kid) use it, & we could be on at the same time. I'm not sure what the limit is. I think only one is connected directly. Everything else is wireless.

Ogre
2006-09-13, 02:21 PM
I also let my neighbor (college kid) use it, & we could be on at the same time. I'm not sure what the limit is. I think only one is connected directly. Everything else is wireless.
The limit is set within the router...Or how much bandwidth you have...If you get it set up it works great, but if you mess up it is a little harder...I am trying to hook up my BIL with wireless but I keep failing...I think there is some major interference that is kicking the signal out of reach...The wireless card sometimes picks up the signal and sometimes not...When it does pick it up it is only up long ehough for me to click connect then it is gone...I do not know what I am doing wrong...But when I had it setup on my machine it worked like a champ...I had the older SpeedBooster to boost the signal up to 108 Mbps...

bebrett
2006-09-13, 02:24 PM
thanks for the input....

I've heard good and bad stories about them but it was sometime ago so my thinking was that technology has worked out the problems

NickB
2006-09-13, 02:42 PM
I have cable modem with a Linksys 4 port router (11g with speedbooster). It's a few years old now so I'm not sure how it compares to the newer models. My main PC is connected via wire to the router and the second is on a wireless network card. The only real problem I have had, was getting the wireless to work with the range expander ( 2 calls to tech support). I have to use one because my PC's are about as far apart as they can be and still be inside the house. I had to do the original set up without security and after everything was online and working go back and set up the encryption.
Other than that no real problems, it's been close to a year since I've had to do anything other than update the firewall.

Hope this helps

Sammie
2006-09-13, 03:45 PM
Thanks....sorry.
no sorry's needed! just helping you out to get the most answers for your question that you can get!

Wanderer
2006-09-14, 12:05 AM
I'm sure that some have the ability to have more than one PC hooked up though correct ?we just got high speed through at&t/sbc, and they offered us a 2WIRE wireless router when we got our service. We have our laptop and desktop both drawing from it wirelessly. We haven't had any problems or anything.

Mike.Perry
2006-09-14, 03:26 AM
Hi

Plus take a look HERE.

Have a good one, Mike

Wanderer
2006-09-14, 01:31 PM
Hi

Plus take a look HERE.

Have a good one, MikeWow, now there is a blast to the past. I'd forgotten all about that, was right when I was preparing to move so I never did get around to it then. :) Got some good recommendations and pointers there...

robert.1.hall72202
2006-09-15, 01:36 PM
I use a notebook computer on a wireless network and I do notice a speed decrease.
Whenever I need to download something I like to use my desktop system because I have it connected directly to the modem.