PDA

View Full Version : 3d Models

Doug
2006-09-13, 05:22 PM
What is the proceedure for making a 3d model? How tough is it to have the roof, 2nd floor, & 1st floor seperate?
Cost? Time?
Got a client that wants to compare 2 designs aganist each other

Thanks

Justin Marchiel
2006-09-13, 05:42 PM
do you mean that the model would be exploded? you could create seperate views and turn off the visibility of the un-needed componants (just keep the roof visible). then overlay the various views on a sheet. this could give the idea of being exploded.

time wise i guess it would bepend on how many "pieces" you wanted to show in terms of options. it is pretty quick to make a view and place it on a sheet.

Did i miss the intent of your comment?

Justin

Doug
2006-09-13, 06:15 PM
Actually - what I want is an actual "3d model" using a 3d printer

Andre Baros
2006-09-13, 06:52 PM
Search here for Rapid Prototype, Z-corp, .stl, Stereolythography, LGM there are several good threads with links.

A general rule of thumb is about $250 for a cubic foot. in about 2-3 days (rapid right?) the stack of pancakes you're describing is possible, we did one with a "simple" two layers plus a back which came off.

Doug
2006-09-13, 07:01 PM
Andre-

Did you have to do a file conversion - how much detail can you get out - we need to show walls, stairs, window openings, and door openings - not materials or color

Andre Baros
2006-09-13, 08:49 PM
We were just learning Revit when we did this so we actually built the model in AutoCAD and MAX. Since then I've talked to LGM about this and they can now take a Revit model directly which they adjust for the tolerances of the machine and scale. There is a practical limit of about 1/16" for small parts, bigger if they're long, etc. The machines can print a-lot, but at too small a size they don't survive the trip to you or the client. I would contact LGM (http://www.lgmmodel.com/) directly as they have developed their own software for converting Revit models to physical models.

Our model was 2'x3'x2' and cost nearly $3000, but it included every detail and a double groin vault that would have been a killer to build any other way.

al
2006-09-14, 02:32 AM
I've printed some models exported out of Revit to the ZCorp 510 through a 3rd party. I had to export the Revit to dwg. Bring the dwg into AutoCAD and scaled it down - in the latest case it was 1" = 80' and then broke it apart into 3 pieces. Then I imported the AutoCAD file into Rhino and saved it out as and stl file, for the ZCorp a wrml works too for color. We were printing a very tall tower and wanted to have 'score' lines at each level to indicate scale. In the real model these score voids were 18" in high by 18" deep. They did print on the model. These voids were removed from the solid portion of the tower which averages about 1 1/2" thick throughout the height of the model so there is some weight to the what is holding the void. This was our 2nd pass at it though -- the first model had score voids at 12" and they were barely visible. Also in this model at the top is tubular steel -- these tubes are about 1/16" in diameter printed. And this is as small as these slender tubes can be. I understand that this piece had to be cured much longer than the base pieces.

I did print a similar model to another type of 3D printer and we didn't care for the type of material that is used -- I can't recall the name of the machine.

You really have to think about how you create the revit model so it will hold together when printed.

SkiSouth
2006-09-14, 08:31 AM
Revit and CNC master is Jeffery McGrew. Check out his blog here (http://www.becausewecan.org/blog/1)