PDA

View Full Version : Accept Primary Deletes Views

cstarr
2006-09-13, 05:57 PM
I have a user here who is trying to accept the primary option, thereby deleting the other option. While it is deleting the option, we get this window that pops up and asks us to delete any views associated with that option. Problem is, all of the views a greyed out and cannot be unchecked. I went back to those views and forced them to show the primary option, then tried again...same result. What I am missing here?

Note: all of the exterior walls exist in BOTH options (some options deal with demolishing various existing walls or parts of existing walls) and the floors are in the main model.

Thanks in advance.

shaunamorain
2006-09-13, 10:03 PM
accept primary option for what?

sbrown
2006-09-13, 11:40 PM
It will delete views that are set to the option you are deleting. At least that is my understanding of how it works.

shaunamorain
2006-09-13, 11:45 PM
So that would be fixed by making copies of them??

irwin
2006-09-14, 01:19 AM
I have a user here who is trying to accept the primary option, thereby deleting the other option. While it is deleting the option, we get this window that pops up and asks us to delete any views associated with that option. Problem is, all of the views a greyed out and cannot be unchecked. I went back to those views and forced them to show the primary option, then tried again...same result. What I am missing here?

There are two ways that views can be associated with Design Options. The first has to do with which option you see when you look in that view. It is controlled through the Design Options tab of the Visibility/Graphics dialog and it allows you to specify that in a particular view you will always see a particular option. The second has to do with when the view tag itself is visible in the parent view. (This only applies to views like sections that have tags.) Revit allows you to specify that the view tag will only be visible in the parent view when you are looking at a particular option. This is controlled through the "Visible In Option" parameter of the view.

The assumption is that you will only set the Visible In Option parameter of a view to a particular option if that view only makes sense with that particular option (for example a section though a garage that doesn't exist in the other options). So, when the option is deleted it always deletes these views. When you accept primary, it deletes all the secondary options, so all views whose "Visible In Option" parameter is set to one of the secondary options will be deleted. The dialog warns you, but won't let you uncheck them.

If you really want to keep one of these views, set its "Visible In Option" parameter to "all" before deleting the design option (or accepting primary), and then uncheck it in the warning dialog.

cstarr
2006-09-14, 02:13 PM
Thanks for the responses so far.

The views in this case are actually 3D views with section boxes, so they don't have a tag associated with them. I have already set them to show the option I am keeping through the visibility override settings, but it is still trying to delete them.

Could it have anything to do with the fact that some objects belong in both options?

Thanks again.

irwin
2006-09-22, 05:09 PM
The views in this case are actually 3D views with section boxes, so they don't have a tag associated with them.
I see that in 9.0 some views without tags have the "Visible in Option Property" including 3D views. (I don't know why.) Make sure that it is set to "All".