PDA

View Full Version : Can't Dimension Railing

tonyisenhoff
2006-09-14, 05:40 PM
I have a stair that spans multiple levels. I can dimension the railing on all levels except the top level (level 5). The dimension wont grab the end of the railing...

Refer the screen capture from level 4.

Any suggestions?

Teresa.Martin
2006-09-14, 07:44 PM
Dear Revit User;
Good afternoon.
I am assuming you tried using your tab key to grab the end of the railing. Do you have any custom components that are not parallel? This can sometimes cause issue.
If you really need to just get the project out the door, you might want to just draw a ref. line and dimension to that and call it a day.
Best regards,
Teresa Martin
Ideate Inc

sleimgruber06
2006-09-14, 08:05 PM
If you're looking for a quick fix, what I normally do for this situation -- because it has happened to me before -- is to draw an Invisible detail line on top of the railing's end.

Hope this helps,

tonyisenhoff
2006-09-14, 08:49 PM
I've done the reference plane trick before and that worked, but now I want to know why it's doing that...

I started a brand new project, did a stair that was multi-story, and didn't have any problems.

Weird...

sleimgruber06
2006-09-14, 08:55 PM
I've done the reference plane trick before and that worked, but now I want to know why it's doing that...

I started a brand new project, did a stair that was multi-story, and didn't have any problems.

Weird...

I would have to say so...

I've had this problem on and off, I can dimension some times, where as another time I cannot, so If someone could provide an explanation it'd be wonderful.

Daly2749415
2017-08-18, 04:30 AM

Weird...

Both workarounds with the reference plane and the detail line will work in this case but using the detail line will be better because you will probably want to hide the reference planes later when presenting the views and when you do, all dimensions connected with them will disappear.

marmiketin
2017-09-05, 01:01 PM
This is an issue with how revit displays railings in plan. If you have a post at the end of a railing the top rail extends to the center of the post so if you have a 40mm pipe post the railing will end up displaying 20mm shorter.