PDA

View Full Version : Elliptical walls?

tarch
2006-09-16, 11:09 PM
Just found out that there is no eliliptical tool available for wall creation. How do you guys do it?

Dimitri Harvalias
2006-09-17, 12:29 AM
Create a mass object and create the wall by picking the face

Brian Myers
2006-09-17, 12:40 AM
Create a mass object and create the wall by picking the face

That's always a good rule of thumb... if you can't create it any other way, try and use a mass to do it.

tarch
2006-09-17, 01:34 AM
Thanks guys

beegee
2006-09-17, 02:25 AM
If you can live with a shape that is not a true elipse, then just draw walls using arc by 3 points, mirror the arc and then fillet the ends. Approximates an elipse.

ron.sanpedro
2006-09-17, 04:47 AM
If you can live with a shape that is not a true elipse, then just draw walls using arc by 3 points, mirror the arc and then fillet the ends. Approximates an elipse.

Given that the contractor is not likely to lay out two pivot points and run a long rope around them to scribe a true ellipse for layout purposes, I suspect the arc and dimensions every 4' from a common line would be as good as anything else. We worry so much about the purity of form and forget that it doesn't get built exactly that way.

Gordon

sbrown
2006-09-18, 01:28 AM
I allways use Beegees method. I like it because we almost always seem to have elliptical stairs in these shape rooms and they are much easier to create as 4 arcs vs true ellipses. I'll usually draw the ellipse with a detail line, then trace over it with arcs so its as close to the design intent as possible.

Scott Hopkins
2006-09-18, 03:23 AM
Given that the contractor is not likely to lay out two pivot points and run a long rope around them to scribe a true ellipse for layout purposes, I suspect the arc and dimensions every 4' from a common line would be as good as anything else. We worry so much about the purity of form and forget that it doesn't get built exactly that way.

Gordon
I have used many true ellipses over the years, both in plan and elevation. Once you explain the string method to contractors they really enjoy making them. I even had one contractor who, on his own initiative, purchased a special plastic string to minimize errors from the stretch in a typical string.

One thing I do wish - It would be nice if Revit could automatically calculate and display the foci points of an ellipse. This would make my job calculating and dimensioning them a little easier.

tarch
2006-09-18, 12:45 PM
That's how I ended doing it. Thanks.

robert.manna
2007-05-21, 03:01 PM
Either its because I'm just dumb, or its Monday morning, but I don't understand how to get the correct arc form, and then how to do the fillet. I have an ellipse traced out with drafting lines, and I would love to use this method, because I think it is more applicable, etc, however I just can't seem to get it. Can you provide a little more instruction, screen shots, or hints?

Thanks,
-R (feeling stupid)

patricks
2007-05-21, 04:07 PM
It would be nice if you snap to an ellipse line in more places than just on the quadrant points.