PDA

View Full Version : Fill pattern in sectioned 3d wall

Griff
2004-06-15, 04:27 PM
I've looked around but can't find a post on this and I'm sure I read something about it before.

I have a building that I created a 3dview of and placed on a sheet. Then I used the section box to cut away part of the building so I could show the interior. I'm using "shaded with edges" and since all the walls are concrete I'd like to show the concrete fill in the walls. As it is right now, my view just shows the outside skin of the walls. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

sfaust
2004-06-15, 04:53 PM
someone correct me if I'm mistaken, but I don't think there's a way for Revit to do this directly right now (although it could be a nice wishlist item). You could export the 3d to a .jpg and insert the fills in photoshop and import the .jpg back into Revit. Not an ideal solution, but it will work.

Mr Spot
2004-06-15, 11:21 PM
You are going to have to create a concrete fill that is a model pattern and not a drafting pattern, if you don't already have one... Only model patterns will show in a shaded 3D view. :wink:

Griff
2004-06-16, 02:21 PM
I'm not understanding something. From an earlier post I got direction on how to create a Model pattern from a drafting pattern. I scaled it and it looks fine in the dialog box. So I start thinking this is going to work. But when I go to, for example, my concrete floor and modify the cut pattern, the only radio button I have the option to choose is the "drafting" button.

How do I assign a model hatch pattern to my concrete walls and floors so that when I have a 3d view and use the "section box" to cut away part of the building, the walls and floors have a hatch pattern showing where the cut plane is?

I'm attached an image to show my problem, incase I'm not discribing the problem clearly.

sfaust
2004-06-16, 03:59 PM
that's why I say that I don't think it can be done. Cut patterns have to be drafting patterns and (as far as I know) will not display in model views. If anyone else knows better, I would love to hear that I'm wrong :)

FK
2004-06-16, 07:08 PM
Revit 6.1 does not fill poches created by the section box. So assigning the cut fill pattern won't help. The current workaround is to create filled regions with the pattern you want.

Mr Spot
2004-06-16, 11:22 PM
I didn't realise when the section box cuts an object it eliminates the fill. Here is a concrete model fill pattern anyway which shows in 3d shaded views.

FK
2004-06-17, 09:57 PM
That's a funny way to put it. ;-) It does not eliminate the fill, rather it does not create it. In real world you have a chunk of concrete, and when you slice through it you see more concrete. In every 3d modeler you have a bunch of faces, and when you slice through them you see... nothing, unless you cover up the hole with another face.