PDA

View Full Version : fill patterns change from model to drafting

Justin Marchiel
2006-09-18, 11:39 PM
From what i read is it true that if you have a fill pattern in revit, unless you have the original *.pat file there is no way to modifiy it from model to drafting? REVIT is not the same as acad in the fact that it doesn't have a support file that it reads to produce the fill pattern?

Thanks

Justin

cganiere
2006-09-18, 11:48 PM
You can modify the Revit pat file.

C:\Program Files\Autodesk Revit 7.0\Data\revit.pat

It is a text file. Open the file in notepad. Change the lines that say ";%TYPE=MODEL" to read ";%TYPE=DRAFTING" and you've switched it!

Chris Ganiere

Justin Marchiel
2006-09-18, 11:59 PM
the problem is that it doesn't contain the patterns that i have imported into my template file. i want to edit those and dont know where the file is located (if there is even one).

Justin

Michelle Gibson
2006-09-28, 01:05 PM
does this work if you have a drafting pattern and want to change it to a model pattern?

Graham Briggs
2006-09-28, 01:09 PM
does this work if you have a drafting pattern and want to change it to a model pattern?
Yes, I believe so. I can't try it right now, but seem to remember doing this to several Drafting patterns, for better control in projects and families.

Graham

Justin Marchiel
2006-09-28, 03:22 PM
i just can't seem to find the patterns that are loaded into my project. the only way that i found to make this work is find the original cadd pat file, then edit it. this seems like the logical way to do things, but i was hoping that you could find the pat file associated with the revit file.

More and more i am finding that revit might need some support files to originally create content (such as shared parameters, pats, etc), but once in the project, it doesn't need to read those files again.

Justin

aaronrumple
2006-09-28, 03:59 PM
i just can't seem to find the patterns that are loaded into my project. the only way that i found to make this work is find the original cadd pat file, then edit it. this seems like the logical way to do things, but i was hoping that you could find the pat file associated with the revit file.

More and more i am finding that revit might need some support files to originally create content (such as shared parameters, pats, etc), but once in the project, it doesn't need to read those files again.

Justin
If you export a view with the filled region, Revit will make a temp file with the *.pat file as it makes the *.dwg. If you could catch this *.pat file before Revit deletes it, you would have the definition.

I'm not quite sure how you would do that as it speeds right by.

The pattern does end up in the *.dwg, and you might be able to use lisp to read the definition, but I haven't looked into that.

This is another reason Revit should have an internal hatch editor...

Architecture11
2019-11-10, 02:48 PM
Has anyone found an answer to Justin's question? I don't need the default .pat file that comes with revit out of the box. I have a different surface pattern that I loaded into my revit drawing and now I can't find the .pat file for that surface pattern. The surface pattern is still loaded into my revit drawing and I can add it to drafting views etc.... I just can't find the .pat file for it. Any thoughts on how I can find the .pat file for it?

Thanks