PDA

View Full Version : Revit 9.1 upgrade question

tim.101799
2006-09-19, 02:26 PM
In the next day or two I am planning on upgrading Revit from 8.1 to 9.1.

Current all of the Revit content (templates, libraries, ect..) is located on a shared network folder. Over the past year we have created alot of custom families that we have placed into the existing Revit library structure. When I install Revit 9.1, and the Revit libraries on the server get upgraded, will all of our custom content be lost in the process?

BTW, all of our custom content has unique file names, we didn't over-write any of the standard Revit families or templates.

Tim

rodneyf
2006-09-19, 04:20 PM
Tim,
Only the files that are exactly the same will be overwritten which is okay but what I do is create a new sub-directory for the new version of Revit so if I have a project that has not moved forward or I don't want to move forward can still use the content. Hope that helps.

david_peterson
2006-09-19, 06:28 PM
In the next day or two I am planning on upgrading Revit from 8.1 to 9.1.

Current all of the Revit content (templates, libraries, ect..) is located on a shared network folder. Over the past year we have created alot of custom families that we have placed into the existing Revit library structure. When I install Revit 9.1, and the Revit libraries on the server get upgraded, will all of our custom content be lost in the process?

BTW, all of our custom content has unique file names, we didn't over-write any of the standard Revit families or templates.

TimYou may also want to look at Wes' post (http://forums.augi.com/showthread.php?t=46986) about workset issues that people seem to be having when upgrading a file that had worksets created in 9.0 going up to 9.1. You may see the same issues.

Wes Macaulay
2006-09-19, 08:02 PM
This thread might also be germane to the discussion:
http://forums.augi.com/showthread.php?t=24325

Neil Osher
2006-09-19, 08:24 PM
Tim,
Only the files that are exactly the same will be overwritten which is okay but what I do is create a new sub-directory for the new version of Revit so if I have a project that has not moved forward or I don't want to move forward can still use the content. Hope that helps.
I'd like to pick all of your brains for a bit. I promise not to go through your nose.

I did that same thing with the upgrade to 9.0 from 8.1. Now that we are expecting to receive 9.1 any day now (subscription is apparently delivered by turtle, and yes I would rather wait for the disc) I was wondering what to do with the 9.1 content. Maybe the best practice is to always keep the new and previous version content. The $100 question is how do you handle your custom content? Content is shared on the network.

- Create a subfolder(s) under the root content called "Custom" that would then contain subfolders for the various families, i.e. Doors, Windows, etc.??

Then you would have to move this "Custom" folder to the new content folder.
I hate having to look in 2 different locations for something. You always find it in the last place you look.;)

- Maybe the "Custom" folder would reside next to the content folder. Then it would always be in the same location.

This way you run the risk of accidentally updating the custom content, rendering it useless in the older version.

I'm hoping to spur conversation regarding "Best Practices in Content Management". Since we are an architectural firm that specializes in large custom homes, nearly every project contains custom windows and doors of some kind. Recently we started creating a "Job Specific" custom content folder. That way you could say, "Remember the windows we used on Project 'X'? Lets use those." Go to the Project X folder on the 'Library' drive and there are all the custom families.

Thoughts?

Neil Osher

Neil Osher
2006-09-19, 08:27 PM
This thread might also be germane to the discussion:
http://forums.augi.com/showthread.php?t=24325
Ok. So I didn't see this until after I had submitted my reply. I peruse this discussion. Thanks Wes.

Neil

tc3dcad60731
2006-09-20, 02:38 AM
Actually, in upgrading from 8.1 to 9 I was afraid that it would delete them too so I copied the files over and then upgraded. Being a curious person I started thumbing through them. Lo and behold I found over 15 files that were not included in the new release!

Wow!!!! The sad thing is that I do not remember what they were nor have I actually used them! :Oops: