PDA

View Full Version : Multi faceted sloping pool floor

BATx2
2006-09-19, 06:25 PM
I’m trying to draw an existing swimming pool that has a multi faceted sloping floor. I’ve searched through AUGI and haven’t found any suggestions that seem to apply to what I need to do. I’ve tried using a floor slab and specified edges as constant heights … this has worked for the main center portion of the pool where there are simple slopes but I haven’t figured out how to do the two (north and south) perimeter slopes. I’ve tried using a roof slab and keep getting intersecting lines errors.

I’ve attached a PDF of the general layout. If I had my way, regardless of software platform, I’d like to draw each line, tell the program the height of each endpoint and let the software do the rest.

Any suggestions?
Blake Thomas

sbrown
2006-09-19, 07:07 PM
create it as a mass using void blends and extrusions to cut out a solid block, then use floor by face.

BATx2
2006-09-20, 02:15 PM
I was afraid that might be the answer ... not that I'm afraid of the massing tools. I suppose I'm just disappointed that there isn't an easy (or relatively easy) way of doing this specifically with the floor (or roof) tool.

After I posted the original message I tried drawing the pool floor as a Toposurface. I had some luck with that tool. I was able to enter each of my "spot" elevations and the floor was drawn for me. The shape is right, but it doesn't look like I want/need it too. Instead of drawing each of the valley lines like I normally would, it drew the topographic lines (as if is was a site plan, which technically it is). Now if Revit just had a create "floor by Toposurface" (similar to what was suggested to do with a mass) I'd be set.

Thanks for the suggestion, sbrown. If anyone else has any bright ideas, please let me know.

Blake Thomas

PeterJ
2006-09-21, 07:07 AM
Make a series of floors that slope in the right fashion and then do join geometry - that should get you there and give the correct sectional build up of the pool floor and substrate.

If the geometry is too complex to define from an angled edge you can define a larger floor with a constant slope perpendicular to an edge and then trim away the additional floor with a void or series of voids. It's a workaround, not a pool floor tool.