PDA

View Full Version : Railings - Truncated

d.stairmand
2006-09-20, 04:15 AM
Im trying (& i mean really trying) to figure this one out
When i have a Railing, 4500 long, with posts at 600crs, the end balustrade pattern is missing. there are a few options
- spread pattern to fit (dont know how this works as the Pattern/Panel family always requires a width dimension)
- & under excess length fill - truncated the pattern to fit
(this sounds like the one for me!) but it never works!!

has anybody had any sucess with the truncated balustrade patterns?

Attached is the Railing Family im trying to build

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Dwane Stairmand

greg.mcdowell
2006-09-20, 04:51 AM
the problem is that Revit considers a baluster/post to be more like a 1-dimensional line than a 2-dimensional panel...

you're really only got a couple solutions (none of which are ideal)

1 - make sure that your panel length is an even module of your rail (unlikely in most cases)
2 - create custom end panels for each rail length (so a rail that is 24 feet will need a different end panel than one 26 feet if my typical panel length is 5 feet)
3 - allow the balusters to spread to fill the additional length (and thus place more room between panels which, again, is often unlikely)

unfortunately option 2 is the most Revit like (and if I'm wrong here I really hope someone corrects me)

what we need in order to make this work better is a way to allow the panel to grow and shrink based on defined rules. as it stands a panel is always a certain size and can't dynamically change with the rail length

roy.70844
2006-09-20, 09:58 AM
...2 - create custom end panels for each rail length (so a rail that is 24 feet will need a different end panel than one 26 feet if my typical panel length is 5 feet)
unfortunately option 2 is the most Revit like (and if I'm wrong here I really hope someone corrects me)

I guess you need to think "What do I want to happen when this railing gets constructed?"
If you want a 'one-off' end panel, then that's what you need to create: Revit-world and Real-world I don't see this as 'unfortunate', just the way it is.
However... How about a parametric end panel so that the last panel fills any remaining 'gap' . One for the wishist?

Roy

d.stairmand
2006-09-20, 10:17 AM
Cheers Greg & Roy
I think that the Special End piece looks like the best option!
My Reseller also described a method of using a Wall - Glass & then add the Railing using the typical Railing Command - this looks like the easiest option - no fooling around with Special Ends.
& i do agree - another wishlist item for R10!

Cheers guys

greg.mcdowell
2006-09-20, 01:44 PM
I guess you need to think "What do I want to happen when this railing gets constructed?"
If you want a 'one-off' end panel, then that's what you need to create: Revit-world and Real-world I don't see this as 'unfortunate', just the way it is.Interesting point... and maybe since what I really want is for each panel to vary (not just the end panels) I could create a family with a width parameter as type and vary it based on rail length... still need to have multiple rail types to get this to work unfortunately (or do I... hmmm)

roy.70844
2006-09-20, 03:26 PM
I like the idea of a nested family with a width as a function of the railing length, let us know if you have any success. Unfortunately I will be too busy over the next few weeks to try such an experiment myself, but as soon as I get a chance....:-)

Roy