PDA

View Full Version : Roof Ridge

tonyisenhoff
2006-09-20, 02:26 PM
Is there an "easy" way to adjust the ridge line of a roof other than messing with the slopes of each face? I'm have to go back & forth, adjusting the slopes to move the ridge, trying to get it correct.

I want the ridge line of this small roof to die into the valley of the other...

archjake
2006-09-20, 02:39 PM
Something must be off. If this is the case there is no easy way to get this.

I don't know the whole story, but one thing I'd check is to make sure all the slopes of your roof are the same and the square piece jutting out has equal legs and then go from there. Then it should be easy to get your ridge to meet the valley. Also check to see that your fascia is at the same elevation.

I'm sure you may have reasons for all of this geometry to not be "correct". If so you'll just have to play with it, or find out what needs to be adjusted accordingly.

jspartz
2006-09-20, 03:51 PM
If you include the two lines for the smaller roof into your overall roof you will get them to clean up nice. But, I'm guessing you want it as it's own separate roof. The geometry isn't off. If you have one side of that bumpout longer than the other side, and have both at the same pitch, it creates a ridge, but if you want it to come to a point you have to lower your pitch on the shorter wall's side until they meet. It's a guessing game.

tonyisenhoff
2006-09-20, 04:17 PM
If you include the two lines for the smaller roof into your overall roof you will get them to clean up nice. But, I'm guessing you want it as it's own separate roof. The geometry isn't off. If you have one side of that bumpout longer than the other side, and have both at the same pitch, it creates a ridge, but if you want it to come to a point you have to lower your pitch on the shorter wall's side until they meet. It's a guessing game.
I've been playing the guessing game...

Steve_Stafford
2006-09-20, 05:32 PM
A slope arrow ought to get you there? I tried to approximate what I saw in your image.

truevis
2006-09-20, 06:40 PM
You may be able to change slope in roof's instance parameter.

Also when 'nudging' slopes, as with all sketches, you can go right back to the sketch with a ^z after finishing the sketch.

wil_schley
2006-09-20, 07:48 PM
Tony,

We had a complex roof and we could not control the ridges and valleys. The guessing game did not work well, so we used a SketchUp model file with just one side of complex faces. We inserted the SketchUp file in the mass modeling mode in Revit and used the "Roof by face" feature to turn it into a real Revit roof. Now we can attach walls to the roof and it works like it was created in Revit.

Wil

tonyisenhoff
2006-09-20, 08:10 PM
Tony,

We had a complex roof and we could not control the ridges and valleys. The guessing game did not work well, so we used a SketchUp model file with just one side of complex faces. We inserted the SketchUp file in the mass modeling mode in Revit and used the "Roof by face" feature to turn it into a real Revit roof. Now we can attach walls to the roof and it works like it was created in Revit.

Wil
Thanks Wil...