PDA

View Full Version : File imported into which view?

mark_a
2004-06-16, 04:26 AM
Hello,
When a file is imported using "Current View Only", is there a way of finding which view the import has been placed in?

mark_a

Mr Spot
2004-06-16, 06:52 AM
From what i understand there is no search tool to find which view the linked file was placed, i guess you would just have to find the view manually by going through each plan etc...

Sorry I wasn't much help

aggockel50321
2004-06-16, 11:29 AM
It's placed on the active view on the screen.

aaronrumple
2004-06-16, 01:33 PM
...and becomes part of the annotation hierarchy.

From front to back on the screen for display order:

Annotations/Single View Imported Drawings
Model/Drawings Imported into all views
Images

...so you have a bit of control on where the drawing will be placed front to back.

beegee
2004-06-16, 10:31 PM
If I understand Mark_a's question correctly, he is looking for a way to determine where ( which view ) an imported file was loaded after the event ( say a different user is now working on that file. )

I don't think there is a way to determine that, other than searching all the views manually.

mark_a
2004-06-17, 01:36 AM
Thanks for the replies,
I guess I will have to pay more attention as to where things are placed. Beegee is right, this is an "after the event, where on earth did that one go?" question. I also scambled my post a bit, "import" should have read 'link", though I don't think that changes the answer.
Thanks again for your help.
Cheers,
mark_a

beegee
2004-06-17, 02:08 AM
If you're using a dwg file in a current view, then the file is imported not linked. It can be exploded and is not dynamic as a link is.

mark_a
2004-06-17, 03:22 AM
We are using DWG files in current view, and checking the link option, so our DWG files are linked not imported. Does this create any issues?
mark_a

beegee
2004-06-17, 04:34 AM
If you check "current view only " and leave "link" unchecked, the DWG file is imported into the current view, but cannot be repaced/ upgraded - not linked. ( ie is not loaded into memory )

If you check "current view only " and check "link" , the DWG file is imported into the current view, and is linked dynamically ( ie it is loaded into memory )

If you check "link" only, the DWG file is imported into all views, and is linked dynamically ( ie it is loaded into memory )

None of this has any impact on whether you can locate whch view the file was imported into.