PDA

View Full Version : Phasing....

dsw98
2006-09-21, 02:14 PM
Just a quick question, Is phasing the way I would show future walls and doors? I haven't had time to really get into learning how or what Phasing does. But it seems like it's the way to do it.

bowlingbrad
2006-09-21, 02:19 PM
Phasing is somewhat complicated to explain, but once you use it for a day, you get it.

Revit has no actual way to display future work.

You could use phasing to show "faux" future information by setting your view phase filter to Show All and the view's phase should be New Construction. Your walls should be drawn in New Construction and then demo'ed in that phase. They will show up as 'temporary' walls. You can change the graphic overrides to display any way you need.

dsw98
2006-09-21, 02:35 PM
I guess what I'm really asking is can I create a wall type that would show up on a plan view as dotted. I've tried but can't seem to get it right.

bowlingbrad
2006-09-21, 03:43 PM
Hopefully this little video will help.

sleimgruber06
2006-09-21, 06:09 PM
What does this video show? My company's server won't allow me to watch it...

dsw98
2006-09-21, 07:07 PM
What does this video show? My company's server won't allow me to watch it...

It just shows the steps of how to do the phasing. It's about 8 seconds long.

dhurtubise
2006-09-21, 08:09 PM
Sure you can
First create yourself a new phase, let's call it Futur. Draw your stuff on it.
Then use a Phase Filter and a graphic override to deal with the dash walls.

Here's how i explain phase :
A phase ia actually a range of time, not a point in time, and each phase can show what happens at its beginning, middle and end. The phase setting represents the view of that phase and the phase filter then sets whether you're seeing things at the beginning ( prior + demo), middle (prior + new ) or end (show complete )

dsw98
2006-09-21, 08:27 PM
Sure you can
First create yourself a new phase, let's call it Futur. Draw your stuff on it.
Then use a Phase Filter and a graphic override to deal with the dash walls.

Here's how i explain phase :
A phase ia actually a range of time, not a point in time, and each phase can show what happens at its beginning, middle and end. The phase setting represents the view of that phase and the phase filter then sets whether you're seeing things at the beginning ( prior + demo), middle (prior + new ) or end (show complete )

I was just playing with it, the problem I'm having now is that my walls that are in different phases don't clean up like I want them to. I want a solid looking wall to be shown, but my new dotted (phase) wall shows over the top. Not sure I explained that right, but it just doesn't display the right way, or maybe I just need to fine tune it. Oh and one more thing, I need door openings to show up in these walls. Isn't there a way to show the door opening but have the door in a different phase?

bowlingbrad
2006-09-22, 12:09 PM
Isn't there a way to show the door opening but have the door in a different phase?

I guess a new object style called future door. Then, in the door family, assign all of the stuff you want to control to that object style. Control in project views via visibility setting.

Revit doesn't handle the future too well.

dsw98
2006-09-22, 02:52 PM
I think what I'll do is just add the new phase to all my future walls but leave the doors and just use the line work tool and turn them invisible.