PDA

View Full Version : Finding problem with room boundaries?

blumarble
2006-09-21, 10:11 PM
This is actually a request for tips. I've got a complicated room -- actually a corridor with multiple ins & outs -- and I'm now getting a "room not enclosed" error. What I'm trying to figure out is how to go about finding the problem. Does anyone have any tips?

dbaldacchino
2006-09-21, 11:44 PM
Yep, was faced with this several times in my project, even in non-complex room shapes. The new room object helps with finding where the "leak" is, so start by highlighting your room and see where it's flowing to.

The following technique actually works in any plan view but is best in a view with a color fill assigned to rooms as you can see it better. Sketch a room separation line and start at one side of the problem room. You'll have to move your room's centerline to one side this room separation line so your tag can show that this side is enclosed (turn the leader on to make it easier). Once you find a good spot to start and you have your room enclosed, continue making a new separation line between parts of your room and delete the previous one, compressing and diverging to the problem area until you find the culprit, usually a wall join or a wall with it's base above the level. This is a similar technique to finding problem planes with Sketchup (if you've used it, you kow what I'm referring to).

EDIT: I just realized...this actually is intended for spaces flowing to other unwanted spaces and you want to find where the leak is (I should read the post in full!). If you have an unclosed room, it could be that it was set on a level lower than your view's level. If that's the case, cut the rooms, paste aligned and select levels by name. Also make sure that in your Room and Area settings, your Room Calculations are set to the right value. You might have it set to a certain height and have walls lower than that value, causing the room not to find a boundary.

luigi
2006-09-22, 12:13 AM
the only tip i can think of, other than going from corner to corner, is to use tab to see how many connected walls highlight...you then can see where the break is(or possible break) sometimes all the walls get selected, then you look for the "open blue circle" rather than the "solid blue circle"

Let me know,

This is actually a request for tips. I've got a complicated room -- actually a corridor with multiple ins & outs -- and I'm now getting a "room not enclosed" error. What I'm trying to figure out is how to go about finding the problem. Does anyone have any tips?

michael.deorsey
2006-09-22, 12:56 PM
The other thing to keep in mind is where your walls are in relation to the level. Rooms look for continuity in walls at the level of the plan that you are in. So if, for any reason your walls are not touching the level this will cause a "leak". Granted this is not a likely problem, but I have seen it.

Cheers.

blumarble
2006-09-22, 04:22 PM
Actually, it was for problems where the room didn't flow anywhere. Because the room was unbounded, what I had was the "small square" that didn't flow anywhere. And although it was a long complicated corridor, it only took several iterations of the "divide & eliminate one-half" technique to narrow it down to a particular wall that was the problem.
Thanks!